a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cam system for main sheets on CP-16s?

Started by stever3721, September 07, 2004, 12:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stever3721

On the yahoo site, in the files section, their is a photo of a Better cam system for main sheets on CP-16s with end-boom sheeting, Which consists of a spring and the standup block, on  a swivel cleat.   The photo was uploaded by dfolson_enduratec.

I own a 1982 CP-16, which uses a padeye and a cam cleat... I would love a system like the one in the photo that would allow me to quickly let out the main.  Even after uncleating, i have to physically pay out mainsheet...

Is the spring and the standup block optional/standard on newer boats?  Is this an aftermarket item?

Thanks
SteveR

David Olson

SteveR,

That would be my boat (a 1980 vintage).  I believe a previous owner made the change.  I love it.  Another member of this group has also made this conversion and he reported back favorably.  

Harken, Ronstan, and a couple others all make versions.  I have seen some 16s with just a cam cleat and some with the swivel base fairlead and cam, but I still maintain the setup I have is much better.

Look at HAR 205 and 240, Ronstan, Spinlock, Holt-Allen as well.  Most can be found at APS - look for swivel bases:

http://www.apsltd.com/depts/dept31.asp

Another option I have seen (Although not quite as elegant???) is to mount

http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/scpdinw1.ShowProd?B4RPMEB9Y9AN78

Harken # 291 on the back coaming on the stern (about the same location as the pad eye)  The owner of that boat said he found it quite effective. (This would also be cheaper and easier to install.)

Good luck.  

David

p.s.  I live in Minnetonka, MN.

stever3721

Thanks for the reply Dave,
 One slight problem is see with my set up is that the iron jib, when tilted out of water, might be directly in the way of the swivle cam set up like you have...  Do you have a motor on your boat?  How high does the spring setup measure?

Does anyone else have this set up with a motor?

Thanks
SteveR
CP-16 2032

PS.  if i get out to Minnetonka, i will look you up..   I sail White Bear.  Or try to anyway...

bro t

David,
do you have the Harken 291 (or something like it) mounted on top or on the inside of the stern coaming?  My current swivelling fairlead camblock  already conflicts slightly with the motor (not severely) but I've been toying with ideas for how to avoid this and to improve the sheet paying out.  Do you have any photos of the block on your boat?; sure would be worth a thousand words..........thanks
bro t from Upwest Maine

David Olson

bro t,

Here is the picture of mine:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gP5OQZDbUhSsUXdTFOBSIjVAatd_nIPgsZ9faaSoAWnF6cF35_WMlP2-bA4dKTmJg4igHTTiVYWJvfQk9VroZbqWVInVyQT4HfW1HJo/CP-16%20main%20cam.jpg

if the link doesnt work, it is in the files section of the yahoo group.

I can't recall ever having a conflict with the motor.  I will have to play with it on the trailer to try understand.

The 291 set up I saw (Never tried) was inside the cockpit on the coaming of the stern.  Sorry - no pics.

David

Dan Hill

I had the same problem with my mainsheet not sliding through the fairlead on the cam cleat.  I changed to a Lewmar 40 or 50mm fiddle block with becket and cam, and the sheet now slides like a dream.  I used the fiddle block because it was significantly less expensive than the single w/ becket and cam, but equally strong.