a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse First taste of salt !

Started by Glenn Basore, September 18, 2007, 06:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Sunday I was on my boat all day, the problem was, it was on my drive way !

I did what I believe to be a complete inventory and inspection of the boat. I did not find my Bilge pump handle and I DId not see a sea cock or any other type of vale for the sink, just a direct drain line from the sink to the outside, port side at the water line.

I did discover about two inches of water at the very bottom along one side of the keel, this surprised me since all the areas under the seats were dry and showed no evidence of any rain water getting in at any time. I just don't know how the water got in, Is this common to have water around the keel area ?

I also found a blue / green plastic tank, about 5 gal size at the very back of the stern with a clear plastic tube running to the wash basin, I assume this is for the fresh water supply but I don't know how you fill it with out removing it and separating the line ? you could not take it out and place it back in an connect the plastic line without spilling most of the water !

I sanded all the teak in the cock pit area including the teak around the companion way and add teak oil to everything, looks a lot better. I did have to sand quite a bit to get down past the deep grain, more sanding than what I would have like to have done but it does look and feel much better.

I will start on the teak rail and hatch rails next week if the weather is nice.

jmh123

The Anchor locker and the mast drain through the storage locker under the V berth and into the bilge. This may be the source of your water, and if so, is not a cause for alarm.

I have found that I can fill the water tank in place with a hose. Though I do take it out regularly to dump it and put in fresh water.

Glenn Basore

Thanks Jmh123,

I did have some rain a week ago, may be thats how the water got in through the anchor area and mast and if I wash the boat I can expect some water to get in.

As to the fresh water container, I can get it out if I remove the cap but to fill and put back in place and then try to put the cap on ?

I guess I could not fill it to the top and prop it up a bit when I start to put it back in and put the cap on.

Do all Eclipse have a sea cock / valve on the sink drain, I don't seem to have one, nothing on the bottom of the sink any way ?

jmh123

We don't use that much water -we end up dumping it before it's gone, then filling with fresh. So I'm not concerned about getting the max in the tank. I also don't want unnecessary weight aft. Fore--aft trim does affect performance.

My 2007 has no seacock.

The strainer/plug in the sink does securely lock in place and effectively close the drain at that point.

Glenn Basore

Sink plug ?

I will look at mine. I guess if its locked in place it does the same thing as a seacock !

I will put some water in the tank to see if the hand pump works at the sink.

I recently tried to mount the Bimini but didn't have the screws or pins to do so, Now I'm trying to figure out what Threda pattern it is, 1/4 -20 fine thread or coarse thread ?