Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mainsheet traveler

Started by charlotteopal, August 14, 2007, 09:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlotteopal

Hi:
Can anyone tell us the best way to rig the mainsheet traveler and block.  The traveler is mounted on the bridge deck and when we purchased the boat the block and cleat on the boom were on the bottom.  This made it difficult or impossible for the helmsman to reach it if it were necessary to trim the mainsail, because of the angle.  It's a cam cleat.

We reversed the block and cleat to the top, which seemed to work much better for the person at the helm, however, we just installed a new bimini and now it's impossible to release or cleat it because the bimini frame is in the way.  It's even difficult to release the sheet if you're not at the helm.

Any ideas?
charlotteopal

bmiller

Move the traveler to the cabin top. That gets the sheet completely out of the way and the helmsman has good access.
If you want I will get some photos of mine in a few days.

charlotteopal

Thanks, that would be very helpful. 

bmiller

The boats previous owner did this and it works great.

As viewed from the helm.

spaul

The traveler bridge is a wonderful device. Mine came with the Hutchins manufactured version which is pretty cool too. They are available from Com Pac if you need one. Makes life a little simpler in the cockpit for sure. Nice homemade job, looks great.

Steve

ilbuildit

Hey bmiller,
   This is completely off topic but is your boat on a mooring ball in Frisco Marina (Summit County)? Looks familar to me. If it is tell John the Marina God (Dock worker) hey for me. Just wondering...

Lee.

bmiller

Good eye Lee. I'll pass it on. Been there lately, lots of new stuff. More slips, bath house and the Island Grill.

ilbuildit

Yea. I've been there lately.  Last December I sold my house near Keystone (I was one of those second home owners). Mike and Taz the dog, the Water Taxi owners was my neighbor. Still talk to him. The awning that sits over the fuel pumps is my work of art. I fully rebuilt it for them last year after a early snowstorm destroyed it.

That Frisco Marina is really something now. I love that area. So much better then Dillon Marina. Phil the manager is really doing an excellent job. I will be up there again soon (on my Catalina, sold the Compac) and I will look for ya on your boat and if you are there I will say "Hey"!

Lee...