a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SunCat weight

Started by cecilg, July 10, 2007, 07:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cecilg

I am looking to tow my SunCat this weekend and would like to know the dry weight. I usually use my pickup but will be towing with a smaller vehicle. Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks, Cecilg

NormD

I haven't taken mine to a scale yet because I tow it with a vehicle with lots of towing capacity. It should be pretty close to 2000lbs all up.

cecilg

Thanks,
That's about what I thought. I have been using a Ford F150 but I want to tow it with a Jeep Unlimited. The Jeep has a towing weight of 3500 lbs so I should be ok.
Again thanks.
Cecil

patch

the displacement of the suncat is 1500 lbs. does that mean that the boat weighs 1500 lbs.all this nautical talk makes me sea sick.

Craig Weis

A 1500 lb boat, plus say 700 for the trailer and add 250 for gear in the boat. Anything will pull this boat. My Start boat on a four wheel cut down truck frame with steerable tongue was pulled away by a fellow driving a Nash Metropolitan car. Four cylinder, flathead! Good luck stopping Junior. My Dad told him as he left with boat in tow. skip.

cecilg

I hope that won't be the case with me. I would also feel better if it wasn't raining while I am driving the 400 miles.
Thanks, cecil

patch

i stated before i tow my suncat with a ford ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 6 cylinder engine.towed it 400 miles from NJ to NH.i would not want to use anything with less power.the performance trailer rides fine with nice wide tires.you almost forget there is a boat back there,till you hit a hill.you can feel the truck slow down right away.4x4 is a plus at boat ramps and dirt or gravel parking lots.i would prefere a bigger truck.but the ranger is fine.my truck has brand new brakes and heavy duty shocks.which were installed before any boat towing.