a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchor Roller

Started by steve brown, April 06, 2006, 09:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

I am considering mounting an anchor roller near the bow of my CP19. I do not have a bow sprit set up like the later models. It would be mounted on the Port side between the two stanchions of the bow pulpit. My Danforth anchor is mounted just above on a bracket. The roller bar assembly will probably extend out beyond the rub rail 5-6 inches. Is this going to be a problem? Has anyone ever installed an anchor roller this way or similar? Is one made that could could swing up out of the way when not in use? Thanks. Steve

mgoller

Hi Steve,
I had a stainless steel bracket for my anchor and the chain just draped down and onto the deck.  The anchor slipped out a couple of times because I hadn't clipped it in right.  
I just threw it over board through the stanchions and used the chock to keep the rope from rubbing.  It was a fine little system.
I think having anything hang over the port side is going to disrupt the lines of the boat.  I hate to be negative but I don't think it will look good.
I have seen on some boats a flat stainless sheet metal plate on deck where the anchor rests.
I know what you're trying to do.  Hopefully someone with more experience can give you some good ideas.
How's the sailing?  I haven't even launched yet.  Its been cold and I haven't had the inclination.  The boats ready and shiny - maybe this weekend.
Bye

steve brown

Hi Marcus, Thanks for the advice.  Perhaps I will consider the bow sprit solution again. Catching the roller on part of my slip would not be good. No sailing yet. I drove by the lake on Wed. and they have'nt even started putting in the docks yet. Odina is in the back yard and I get out to her frequently for work. Putting in a depth sounder, cockpit sail controls, down haul and non-slip deck finish among other chores. I expect the marina to be ready by Memorial Day. I am retiring on May 31 so I will be able to sail any time I feel like it. Good sailing to you and all. Steve

Craig Weis

Skip here. Let me wade into this just a bit. Sounds like it is a done deal already. My concern is...

1~The anchor roller 'tween the stanchions, to me sounds like trouble. I can see the roller being hung up on the dock poles, or another boat. I always thought the rub rail should be kept clear at all times.

2~Additionally I see the problem compounding if the anchor is hung out from the roller. Put the bow sprit on the 19. I did that for Wind Rover and posted the 'how to'.

3~When the slack sheet line of the lapper is on the roller side, and unattended, it may be caught or tangled up on the roller, regardless if an anchor is on the roller or not.

I don't know, what do you think? skip. :roll:

steve brown

Hi Skip, Could you please direct me to the location for your bow sprit installation. Thanks. Steve