a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

sore arms from sheeting in the main

Started by patch, August 27, 2007, 05:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patch

after 6 hrs of  racing my suncat my arms are exhausted.don't know if its from the angle that the mainsheet comes out of the block.or just the heavy load that the 150 sq ft sail puts on the main sheet.the wind is real tricky on the lake.constant sail adjustment tires me out and leaves me with throbbing pain in both upper arms.am i alone in this or is this a common problem,or am i just a wimp.who need to get back in the gym.

Craig Weis

So any high effort arm use can be reduced by adding an other purchase. [Look it up in the dictionary] in short add another turn with a 4 purchase pulley system. Lots to choose from. skip.

moe548

If you're in a situation where you have to hold the mainsheet, rather than cleat it, such as in stormy/gusty weather, a Harken hexaratchet fiddle block can greatly reduce the load you have to hold.  It has a slide switch on it that either lets the large sheave rotate in both the hauling and easing directions or rotate only in the hauling direction only.  It's available with becket for 4:1 mainsheets or without becket for 3:1 mainsheets.

Craig Weis

That is pretty close to the gear [in the pictures] I use to cleat down the main sheet on the C-P 19. Works well. skip.