a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How much power is needed to pull CP23

Started by ramble on, June 27, 2007, 10:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramble on

I have a guy interested in buying my CP23 who is wondering how much power is needed to safely trailer it. He has a Ford - V8 Econoline Van and is not sure what it can do.

Can anybody shed some light on this for us?

thanks,

Jeff

pelican

Need to check on how much weight the vehicle is rated to tow. What type of hitch is on the van and it weight rating.

How far and in what type of terrain ( hilly or flat ground) will the boat be trailered. How far will you be towing? A vehicle may be fine for short trips but not adequate for cross country trips through mountains.

Remember, a vehicle may pull the trailer down a flat road fine ,but have difficulties pulling the boat up a steep wet boat ramp. Does the trailer have brakes? It can be difficult for a light vehicle to stop a heavy boat/trailer.

So I believe the answer to your question is... Just depends on what type of towing you plan to do. I tow my boats with a heavy V8 4x4. I could get by with less but I feel confident that it will perform well in the tough conditions.

good sailing

rmonsma

Hi Jeff,

The previous post is certainly correct but I'd add this.  I tow my CP 23 with a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 which is Toyota's smaller truck.  The tow capacity is just over 6,000 pounds and the engine is a 6 cyl and the hp is 238.  I've towed my boat for hundreds of miles and the vehicle does very well.  Mountains are going to be a challenge no matter what vehicle is used.  My trailor has surge brakes on it and although not perfect they do quite well.

Good luck!

Roger

bob lamb

Jeff
  I've towed my CP23d with a 1996 Ford Econoline 150 V8 for the three years I've owned her.  Towed from Florida west coast to Raleigh, NC and had no problems.  Having no trailer brakes I needed to watch ahead and anticipate stopping.  It can be done.  No problem at the ramps either.

Good luck
Bob

ramble on

thanks for the info. i will pass it on.

Jeff/Ramble On