a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Giant Eye Bolt??

Started by Bob23, May 27, 2007, 09:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

My 1985 23/2 had a giant eye bolt protruding from the transom just above and to starboard of the motor mount. It originally was galvanized but now well rusted. I could not get that sucker out for beans so I painted it. Does anyone else have this thing on thier 23? Was it factory installed to facillitate the lifting of the deck in place?
   Bob in "Koinonia".

mike gartland

Certainly don't have anything like you describe on my 1989 CP-23.  Sounds like someone may have needed or wanted an extra stern line and the eye bolt was an easier or cheaper solution than a proper cleat.

Mike
Mike23

Craig Weis

The big Eye
Best guess is for a plastic coated wire lock for the outboard. skip??
If you really want to take this out then Rust Buster it a few days ahead of the time you wish to screw it out.

Bob23

Mike, Skip-
   Thanks for the input. I'm using it for an outboard lock only because it's there. I'm puzzled becasue it looks to have been installed during construction because it's on the transom, just under the deck/hull joint- an impossible place to reach unless your'e a tiny person stuffed inside the portside locker. However, it's an old galvanized bolt now well rusted, not Hutchins style. The rest of the hardware is top quality bronze. My guess is the small person-inside-the-locker. I ain't that small anymore so I painted it.
   One more thing for next winter's improvement list!!
   Bob23 on "Koinonia" out.