a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

stress lines on CP 23 hull

Started by JF AIR, May 07, 2007, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF AIR

Model CP23 1989 right now on her trailer and developping crescent shape cracks in gelcoat just above waterline over the hard spot where the bulk head ( the bkhd  between main and chain locker bkhd ) is tabbed...both sides of the hull show the same pattern over an aprox lenght of 20 inches running aft...Has anybody experienced that before on their Compac...I am worried that this deterioration is structural
Need advise please
jfrancois

ramble on

Are these cracks just now developing? How long has she been on the trailer? Are you sure it is on correctly? Is this trailer set up for the boat?

I had a previous sloop that I had on a trailer and had painted the bottom. When launching, I thought I could float her back a little, pull her back out and finish the job. Needless to say, that is not how it worked out. I still have epoxy on my hands...

The cracks being parallel on both sides makes me think:

1. there has been no damage.
2. there is most likely no delamination from water intrusion as it is unlikely there could be similar leaks.

I have read that cracks happen like this when the bulkhead is butt-up against the hull. Some builders use styrofoam to act as a buffer between the bulkhead and the hull to keep these hard spots from appearing. The tabbing with glass keeps everything in place.

My opinion  (remember - you get what you pay for) is this is a bothersome cosmetic issue. Sail her hard, see what happens and wear your life jacket.

Craig Weis

When I installed my stern pulpit on my C-P 19 I saw cracks develop as I pulled the mounting pads down on to deck despite the use of UHMW pads and 3-M 5200 between the deck and pulpit. Also note that under the deck was a hefty piece of plywood fiberglassed into the boats structure to provide a landing for the pulpit, should one be installed by the owner later. Very Nice!

I guess I pulled her down too tight with the 7/16" bolts. So I asked Mr. Hutchins about these at the All Sailboat Show and he told me they would be OK, not structural...of course these are not the kind of cracks you see.

And remember not to support the weight of the hull on the trailer bunks, but rather let the keel rest on the wood/or rollers of the trailer. The bunks just keep her from rolling off the trailer. skip.

JF AIR

Thanks for answering...The boat weight is absolutely on the keel and the trailer is well leveled. I use Magic Tilt trailer wich came with the deal and the boat has been on it since july...Boat was trailored only twice from time of purchase wich  was for seasonal in-out of water and only over a 20 miles distance
Those cracks came suddenly this spring after I had to enter in the boat a few times for mtce while boat was on trailor...I scrutinize my hull frecuently and one day , there they were...
JF AIR

Craig Weis

Wow, that's so strange! I have no idea what is going on.

I'm thinking maybe a bad batch of goop or improperly mixed at the factory during the mold fill.
Unlikely since the glass/resin may not cure.

If your doing the sling thing, my Com-Pac 19 came with little stickers as to where to place the slings. Generally the stern sling is skinnied up against the back of the keel. And the front is push up against the leading edge of the keel. And lift.

I don't know.
"Hold it closer to the phone so I can see it". Not to be flip. I really have no idea. Sorry Skip.

Gil Weiss

I am not sure where you are located, but frankly, what came to my mind is water intrusion, freezing and cracking?

rmonsma

Was the boat lifted from the water with a sling?  That's the approximate location of the forward sling when a CP 23 is hauled using a sling.   

Just a thought.

Roger

JF AIR

Yes it was hauled out of the water using crane and the sling ran around the hull just in front of the keel aft frm strss marks area of aprox 12-15 in
Actuallly , a good read of Henry C.Mustin book Surveying Fiberglass Sailboats on page 33 and 34 depicts this exact situation calling any boat showing this weakness to fail a survey if they are to be used offshore( Of course I stay on lakes anyway but on a good day they grow pretty nasty...)
Best regards
jf air