a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

4 inch port screens

Started by MacGyver, May 07, 2012, 08:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

My boat didn't have those screens with it. And the guy at Hutchins yacht said they don't sell them anymore because they were so ridiculously priced and kept going up.
What do these look like? Where and how do they fasten in?

I am ready to fire up my wood lathe and start some prototyping but no idea where to begin.

Any help is appreciated. I haven't found a single picture on the net or any clues.
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

Maybe I'll take a pic of them for you next time I'm at the boat.

Basically those recesses in the port contain metal rings which expand to fit into 2 the recess. In between is the screen; brass frame, about 1/4" wide with brass screen soldered to the frame. A short pin with ball is brazed to the frame so you can hold onto it for removal, which I've never done.

I bought two and wished I had 4 due to the price going up.
One of the problems with the screens are rain can and does come in if left open.  You can hang little quart sized painter buckets or similar to catch the rain, but I never liked always having to drain the buckets.

To help solve this problem, I also made screened intake ducts out of 3" PVC elbow with screen tied to the 3" male end. The 4" outer diameter of the female end of the elbow fits into the port with a tiny bit of sanding to fit.  If you have some screen and wire ties/trim tape you can make 4 of them about $12. Just keep them pointed a little down from horizontal (i.e. pointed forward, but titled down a bit) so the rain can't collect.  Need to get a pic of these too.  They seem to work great but do hang out over the side deck making footing a little more complicated.  I generally use the upper deck to go forward anyway.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

cycle

@ Salty -  Thanks for reminding about your pvc idea.  I had called Hutchins abou the screens and after they told me they dont have them anymore due to $$, they also mentioned that you can use coffee can lids with cutouts for screening.  Of the two I really like the PVC idea better for durability & rain.
1987 CP19
Portland, ME

MacGyver

Sounds like a great idea, please post pictures if you can,

My boss did say about brazing wire and making the screens myself, I didnt quite understand what he was telling me overall.

sad that their supplier was raking them over the coals on the screens......... seems like such a simple item.

Mac

Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

I bought them. Yea, they cost a few bucks. They fit against the outside of the glass 4" port. Then a spring surround wire clip is pushed into the groove until it snaps in and expands into the groove holding the screen which has a brass metal edge around it's circumference. Be sure that the openings of the round clip are pointing down so the water will drain out and into the collar of the port. Typically with these ports they hold water and when opening them when you see accumulated water, it's best to have a towel on the ready.

skip.

Salty19

Here's a couple of pictures of the ports.

\
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MichaelQuigley

My 19/3 is missing the 4 screens for the portholes, which are no longer available.

Going to come up with a recipe to make replacements, possibly with a 3D-printed frame.

Could someone who has these screens possibly take some fresh photos of them and also be willing to get me some measurements?
1988 Com-Pac 19/3 #453, "Bella"

crazycarl

Ive been waiting for the grandson to 3D print some for me for past 2 years. 😴
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MichaelQuigley

If we can the measurements, I'm sure I can put something together!

I would be happy to print you some, also...
1988 Com-Pac 19/3 #453, "Bella"