a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Disastrous Road Trip

Started by crazycarl, August 11, 2024, 06:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

Thursday I dropped the Mrs off at the airport and was going go up to Plymouth,MA to check out an Island Packet 27, but I didn't want to be chasing, or be chased by Debby. Instead I put it off until today when I thought the traffic would be lighter. 🤔 No such luck. Then I realized I didn't bring any cash or the toll transponder. 🙄 But worst of all, a semi decided he wanted my lane and suddenly swerved into it, wiping out the drivers side of the Mrs 2024 Subaru. He didn't stop, nor did any witnesses. So here I sit at a rest stop Maryland hoping I don't run into rain as I make my way home.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Christopher

Oh Man!  Well the good news is you didn't get injured. Sorry to hear about your misadventure.

Cpy23ecl

Well that sucks but at least no injury. 

IP27 was my dream boat for many years but couldn't afford it at the time.  Now that I can I don't really want one any more, too much teak to maintain, but IP's are really nice boats.

Fred

deisher6

IP 27's are well appointed and good lookin'.  They look very much like a ComPac-27, same designer.  But they sail like pigs.  I have spent several days and nights on Lake Superior, Apostle Islands and Isle Royale in comfort, but wishing the IP was more weatherly.

regards charlie

crazycarl

They aren't fast that's for sure.

I'm also looking at a 27' Pacific Seacraft Orion and a Flicka. I've ranked them in order of preference. #1-Flicka  #2-Orion  #3-Island Packet

Each has it's merits. 

The Flicka is towable so I can Pull it before a hurricane or to clean the bottom. It also has a tiller, which I prefer. I would then sell the Compac and only have 1 boat.

The IP has a full stub keel with a centerboard that would allow anchoring in skinny water and no problem when 2 weeks of wind lowers the water at our dock to 3'. The interior (important to the wife) is huge.

The Orion has a full heavy keel and is capable of crossing oceans. (not that i have plans)

All 3 boats masts will fit under the 45' bridge clearance on our creek. The Orion I would need to keep at our assc. slip. ($125/month, water but as of yet no electric)

crazycarl

Called the broker for the Flicka and it's sold. She has now sold this boat 3 times. The original owners bought it without an interior and finished it themselves. By the pictures, they did a very nice job of it. It has only been sailed on fresh water lakes, but as they aged they wanted a larger boat. The next 3 owned it for a very short time as their wives also found the interior too confining. After spending weeks aboard our 19, the Flicka's interior feels cavernous to me.
The broker has my contact info if it comes up for sale again.  Meanwhile, there is a neglected Flicka sitting on a trailer in a marina 12 miles from here, so a short "road trip" needs to be made. Maybe I can locate the owner and strike a deal. 

crazycarl

The insurance company called today.  Bad news.  The car isn't covered because there wasn't collision on the policy.  The car is a 2024 with 13,000 miles on it. Evidently when we bought it last year, the policy from the 2005 Jeep was carried over to the new vehicle. Worse yet, the annual policy arrived in the mail last week and Joan gave it to me asking  that I look through it to make sure it was the coverage we needed. I placed it on my desk and forgot about it.  I pick her up at the airport in an hour.  Think I'll take her dinner and get her settled in at home before telling her.  Doesn't look like I'll be purchasing that boat for awhile.

I just handed her enough ammunition for every disagreement, for the rest of my life.

passagesfromtheheart

Hi, Carl!

Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry about what happened with your car! I'm extremely relieved you are ok after the incident, but that's absolutely terrible the truck driver didn't stop, nor did any witnesses. I am also so sorry to learn about how the insurance situation unfolded -- that has got to be extremely upsetting, to say the least! I hope you'll be able to resume boat shopping someday soon -- keep the faith!!!

Though nothing has panned out yet, my recent boat shopping adventures, up in Lake Superior, have taught me even more about what I'd like in my next boat (and also what I can live without). It's a process and, more than anything, I'm learning the important role patience has in all of this. It -- learning patience -- seems to be a recurring theme in my life, for sure.

Fair winds,
~ Chelle
* Formerly 'Seachelle' on the CPYOA forums *
2013 Com-Pac 23 | SV Charm
2008 Com-Pac Legacy | SV Charisma
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@passagesfromtheheart

brackish

Well Carl, I'm sorry about the accident and I'm more than a little surprised that your insurance agent would allow  the carryover.  Was the car an all cash buy? Thought you would have to have proof of insurance including collision for the lien holder. I was about to drop my collision on my 2007 Toyota Tacoma, but might not now.  It is in near perfect shape with the exception of the clearcoat starting to come off as a result of 17 years of UV exposure.  However, going to get it painted and give it a spot in the carport.

My next boat(s) decision is a simple one. A very small, keep in the back yard, day sailer and a Diannes Rose.  The Rose would be for overnights on Bay SPrings Lake which would bring my wife back as it has standing headroom and a place for private head, not one you have to tear the bed apart to use in the middle of the night.  No it doesn't have a stick with a piece of fabric as primary propulsion, however, we mostly motor to destination now and it can't go any faster than a boat under sail but that is OK with us.  I'm struggling with the decision to build one, but on the lookout for one that was built right to buy.  Not sure at 77 I want to tackle another build.

crazycarl

Discussing it the wife, she said she told the insurance it was a new vehicle and wanted full coverage. She also said she provided the policy to the finance company for proof of insurance. The policy was just renewed so we're going to the bank, safety deposit box, to check last year's policy.