a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tool Kit & Spare Parts ?

Started by Dave-in-RI, June 20, 2024, 06:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave-in-RI

Hi. What do some of you bring for a tool kit and spare parts aboard for day sailing and maybe a weekend overnight cruise near home? I have an outboard skiff plus a Sun Cat, and the skiff died on me at an inopportune time, and I realized I didn't even have a screw driver, so I want to make sure I have the right kit and some extra parts on that boat plus the Sun Cat. Curious what you have learned the hard way and maybe also the easy way, too.

brackish

Very basic tools for the most part, screw driver with changeable business ends, pliers, adjustable wrench. And a lot of basic fasteners, cotter pins, split rings etc. However I've considered packing a spare carb in the parts bin.  It takes me about ten minutes to remove and replace the carb, but several hours to break it down, clean it, replace the fuel regulating diaphragm (the normal culprit).   

bruce

I'll mention my favorite space and weight-saving adjustable wrench, the Channellock 6SWCB.
https://channellock.com/product/6swcb/

I like a 6" wrench in general, but usually the jaws max out at 13/16" or so, which is limiting with larger nuts and pipe fittings. The Chanellock opens to 1 1/2", normally requiring a 12" wrench. The thinner jaws allow the wrench to sneak in tight places, and are especially useful for low-profile lock nuts.

Wouldn't break it out for a big job, but as a pocket carry it's very handy.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

Our Sun Cat came with a pretty nice, basic tool kit with screwdrivers, pliers (needle and channel lock), socket set (metric and SAE), a couple other odds and ends. Since we are in a slip, it is nice to have any and all. Under way I have used many, most notably the socket set when we noticed that the rudder gudgeon was working loose on a rough day with many miles to port. I was able to tight two successfully, one was still tight, the other I needed to put a wrench on both sides later (not a particularly straightforward task). I suppose a good pliers would have done the trick in a pinch, but sockets were way better. I tightened a screw on the main sheet block just before it would have failed, and lacking a screwdriver at that moment could have been...awkward. A pliers has been handy to tighten the odd thing here and about, again saving us from larger issues.

Despite low vulnerability in the type of sailing we do, it would seem to me inappropriate not to have aboard a spare shear pin and the ability to replace it (Torqueedo electric motor). I have a paddle, too...and hope never to need that.

I keep a small box of misc hardware: screws, bolts, shackles, pins and the like. They have not been needed, but I would like to be maybe able to jerry-rig a solution to a hardware problem while out. I'm sure Murphy will get me one of these days, having all the parts except the one I need...

Some spare lines, of course. Not long ago I got to tow a stranded power boat into port (under sail!) and a good line was handy.

Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

crazycarl

Be sure to carry spares. Like a 10mm socket rolling to the exact center under  a vehicle, the tools you use the most on a boat will eventually be dragged down to Davey Jones locker.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Jim in TC

Quote from: crazycarl on June 20, 2024, 03:07:32 PMBe sure to carry spares. Like a 10mm socket rolling to the exact center under  a vehicle, the tools you use the most on a boat will eventually be dragged down to Davey Jones locker.

It is certainly true that very few tools will float long enought to save from misfortune! I have been known to tie a lanyard to a tool that will be used over water...
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Dave-in-RI

Thanks— this is a good thread to have around. I'll add one I heard recently but haven't done yet: a second kill cord for your outboard, so if you go overboard the remaining crew can come get you. Might make more sense for a motorboat but still. I've fashioned a thin line tourniquets style around a kill switch before and it worked fine, but I'll pick up a second and toss it in the spare parts bin.

Cats Paw

I suggest to have a folding none pointed serrated cutting edge knife for slicing through lines if need be. Also carry a flashlight at all times.

Andre

Since I only sail on a lake with no currents and swap my Honda 2 between my PC and HC, I permanently store pretty much a full complement of tools on the HC including fasteners, safety wire, etc since it has so much storage. I always bring a diving knife and a pair of goggles (I'm a serious swimmer)in my boat bag and a Swiss Army knife that I carry everywhere(!). And I have a fair amount of extra line on board both boats - small 3/16 stuff, around 50 ft of spare 3/8 anchor line, and several 3/8 dock lines 15 and 25 ft which I too have used for towing. Oh and a paddle if both wind and motor die.

Andre
PC & HC