News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lashing boom down rather than clew down haul?

Started by S Lively, July 31, 2024, 04:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S Lively

So, let me begin by saying that I am new to our Sun Cat and sailing, in general. I have been reading through the Sun Cat/Sunday Cat forum and have learned quite a bit. One discussion I am intrigued by is the use of a clew downhaul, which our boat has, and I'm not fully understanding the value. I intend to change the throat halyard to a 2:1 purchase, which would mean that the easiest way to tension the luff would be with the throat halyard. In that case, why would I not simply put a lashing on the boom of the correct length to hold it where I want it. I would place that height in a position where the throat halyard has enough range of motion to work against the lashing to tension the luff. Am I missing something or looking at this wrong? If this is a good approach I would change the tack downhaul to a gaff downhaul to assist in furling.
Steve Lively

AF1SL

bruce

Hey Steve, welcome to the group. First, a little terminology. The corner of the sail at the bottom of the luff is indeed the tack. The clew is the corner on the aft end of the boom, at the leech.

The Sun Cat comes with a luff downhaul with a nice Spinlock cleat. As you say, the luff can easily be tensioned with the throat halyard, and on the Picnic Cat the tack downhaul is just as you described, a simple line made up to, in this case, a horn cleat mounted in the mast track on the stub. I never adjust the downhaul, all adjustments, once I'm happy where the downhaul is, are with the throat halyard. Going to 2:1 shouldn't change anything, either downhaul set up would work.

Many repurpose the downhaul cleat for lazy jacks or a second downhaul on the throat at the gaff gooseneck, as you suggest, used to help the sail come down.

Furling is when the sail is wrapped up, you're not furling the main on the boom, just piling it there. Flaking is making the folds of the sail lying on the boom neat.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

S Lively

Thanks Bruce. I appreciate the help with terminology, it doesn't yet flow off my tongue (or keyboard) yet.
Steve Lively

AF1SL