a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

ComPac's 1st NC Sail

Started by crazycarl, June 13, 2024, 03:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

I finally launched our ComPac 19 today. After tying her up at our dock, I checked the forecast and it was showing 8-10 mph winds all day. Perfect! I motored for 2 minutes to get out of our little cove and into Greens Creek. I sailed east a bit to avoid a fisherman checking his traps, and then southwest wing on wing for about a mile until tacking to starboard and slowing down as the trees blocked the wind. I passed by a crab pot buoy and felt the pot scrape the keel. Rounding up I gathered a drink from the cooler and sat for a spell before heading back. Approaching the turn I could see large white caps and quickly reduced the genny. It was a spirited sail as I tacked back and forth down the creek before entering our little cove and ghosting up to the dock. Checking the wind online it was now 18mph. Glad I didn't choose to go out on the river.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Tim Gardner

Sounds like you had a fun time. Small Boats sail more often. Large boats lounge around the dock, it seems.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

TopsailB

I sailed out of Duck Creek this pm, wind on the nose, headed down the Neuse. The forecast of E 10-15kts played out as NE 15 gusting to 20 on the river. With a moderate chop. Good decision on your part. The CP27 did great with the main reefed and the genny furled to 110 or so, but it was a bit bumpy. My CP23 would have been uncomfortable for sure. Heading back with the wind on the stern quarter, made 6-6.5kts easily with just the genny. A great sailing day for sure.
Topsail Beach NC
1989 Com-Pac 27
1986 Com-Pac 23D
1986 Com-Pac 16
1959 Simmons Seaskiff 18