a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

(No) workin' on the boat blues

Started by BoatTreble, February 08, 2024, 10:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoatTreble

This weather has been so strange here in the Yoop this winter!  On one hand the temps have been, for the most part, pleasant for our area (30's and 40's) so I can't complain about that.  I'm sure the ice fisherpersons aren't all that happy as access to the lakes has been limited due to the ice not being thick enough.  But the humidity levels have also been high which makes those temps feel ten or more degrees colder.  It bites right through a body.  Normally in those temps crawling around the boat for a few hours isn't uncomfortable but as it is in less than an hour I'm in stern by the diesel shivering like a little dog *#$&&$+" razor blades!  Probably just new boatitis that's making me cranky about not being able to spend quality time with her doing the little things she needs.

Also initiating queries with USPS over a package of parts I ordered to fix her compass.  I ordered them from Viking on 1-26-24 and the USPS tracking number shows they were in possession of the Kingston, MA post office since 1600 on 1-30-24.  There hasn't been a single update since then and calling the phone number for that post office results in a long ring time and no pick up.  Just a tad frustrating.  But I'm sure the USPS team will get it ironed out shortly.

I have some sailing experience from my previous two boats (a Hunter 22 and a Morgan 22) but in no way would I call myself an accomplished sailor.  So yesterday I spent a very pleasant half hour on the phone with the owners of the closest ASA certified sailing school out of Marquette, MI.  He gave me the low down on what they offer and pricing and we also just had an enjoyable chat about sailing in general, sailing books and movies, cruising videos on YouTube, and such.  I left the conversation feeling stoked and satisfied that the ASA courses are probably the right direction for me to get the knowledge and skills I want to develop to be able to sail Zoe competently, safely, and enjoyably.  If anyone has experience with the ASA courses and wishes to chime in with their tales I will be quite appreciative.

Anyway, Zoe is sitting pretty on her cradle patiently waiting for the weather to get right to plop back into Little Bay de Noc and grace the waters with her gliding presence.  Have a great Thursday everyone!

Al