a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

long gloomy winter, in NC ---

Started by Al, March 16, 2024, 01:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

--- for me, in NC, due to Covid & pneumonia.
  Since getting the HC 3 yrs ago, I've sailed almost every week, all year long.  This year's been different. My last sail in '23 was in the first wk of Oct.  First time in '24 was this week (twice).  We often have had 70F day a few days/mo. in the Winter, and not too many yrs ago I'd  go out on the Neuse River when it was in the upper 50's F.  Old age changes things.
  We're about 15 mi. up river from Carl, in Oriental, and we have yet to meet.  My Commodore and I used to go there for lunch, when we had a power boat for a while, between sailboats.  I've left our boats in the water for the last 25 yrs, so we're ready to go whenever.  It's been a great place to live.  We first came to NC about 35 yrs ago, and decided the coast is the place to retire
--  OK, if you've suffered thru my ramblings, here's my question -- has anybody been sailing this winter?  I ck in every day, and the forum's been pretty quiet.
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

crazycarl

Al,

I know how you feel. The weather this year has been near perfect for sailing.  Unfortunately the last time I was out was New Years day for the "Instead of Football Regatta". I find myself unenthusiastic when it comes to sailing the 30'r. She's only .8 miles away and easy enough to sail single handed, but the wind always seems to build when I'm putting her back in the slip.  I know when the Compac is finally in the water at our dock, I'll be out on the water a lot. There are many times I only have 1 1/2 or 2 hours to sail and the 19 will make it easy to get out and back in that time frame. I have plans to sail up to New Bern this year so maybe we can meet at Pinkys over a Guinness. I've counted 17 Compacs here in Oriental so maybe a Compac Roundup is order. I'm also planning a trip to Shackleford Banks this year with a stop over at Cedar Island if you're interested.   
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Al

Carl,
  Guinness at Pinky's sounds good, let me know when.  Pinky's is new to me, glad to find someplace here that has Guinness on tap.  Last place I knew of stopped a long time ago.
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole