a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New CP 16 owner - Fiberglass dimples

Started by Colin B, October 28, 2023, 06:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin B

I've seen other photos and descriptions of peeling paint like mine. I used Citristrip on a small patch, with plastic over it for a few hours, worked well. Now it seems to me that this issue is caused by the uneven surface as there are so many angles in the peaks and valleys that the paint has a weak adherence point. Just the stress of trailering and sailing will cause cracking and moisture will set in. I don't really want to spend a ton of money on gel coating and sanding. Is there a material to use to fill in the valleys adhere well enough to paint over a few coats to get a smooth finish. Thanks in advance for the tips

crazycarl

I had this issue with my 19.  Every time you entered the cabin, you exited with white spots all over yourself.  Using my garage compressor I was able to remove most of the paint.  What stayed on I removed with a stiff wire wheel and an air grinder.  I didn't repaint, but installed a material headliner. 
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Colin B

Thanks Crazycarl, I was thinking the same. Seen folks using Nauga Soft vinyl. So look what Gerry Hutchins himself said when I emailed the same question.

Colin - our recommendation is to wire brush the loose paint off and then repaint with a good quality, exterior grade, acrylic house paint.  You can apply that with a brush and acrylic does not have toxic fumes.

Regards

Gerry

Gerald Hutchins
Hutchins Co., Inc./Com-Pac Yachts