Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Advice about buying a used PC

Started by MaverNick, June 19, 2023, 11:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaverNick

Hello everyone, and Happy Juneteenth!
I want some advice about two used PC I  recently looked at, but they both had issues that made me pause.

Part of the problem I am running into is that both boats are being sold by someone other than the owner. And they don't know the boat well enough to speak intelligently about them at times, nor do they have the ability to answer some of my questions fully.

So I'll share what I found and welcome your thoughts about the severity of the problems I encountered with each PC. Both boats are still available.

PC #1 - 2013 $8,500 - this PC was stored outside and is filthy overall. The wood needs sanding & refinishing, the sail is worn and dirty, and it has a golf ball size hole near the head. But the item that concerns me most was that the starboard shroud's turnbuckle was bent. (The threaded toggle jaw) While I can think of a few scenarios that could cause this (none too pleasant), the seller was unaware of the problem and did not know how this could have occurred. So when the mast was stepped, it appeared to be leaning a bit toward one side. Tuning the mast could correct this issue, but I wasn't 100% sure if the mast itself was straight.
(Motor not included)

PC #2 - 2009 $9,000 - This PC was clean. The sail was in reasonable shape for its age. Here's the BIG problem. Apparently, at some point, the mast hit a powerline while on the trailer. The incident resulted in $1,500 worth of damage, mostly limited to the fiberglass at the base of the mast. Although the seller provided me with the repair bill and assured me it was now better than new, I wanted to avoid taking a chance, especially since I did not know if this repair was sound. I tried to call the repair shop a few times, but no one answered.
(2.5 HP Yamaha included.)

Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but when it comes to the safety of my family, I rather err on the side of being extremely careful. I am not an expert on PCs, so I'm sending it to you, folks.
Thanks!

bruce

Glad you're finding some boats to look at! Turnbuckles and toggles can be replaced, but I would be concerned about associated damage in #1. The standing rigging is never very tight, the mast should stand straight including across the hinge. No spreaders to tweak. Minor tilting can be adjusted. Dirty, damaged sail, no motor, turnbuckle not repaired...not well cared for. Photos would help, seems overpriced at $8500.

Hard to hit a powerline with a gaff-rigged PC, the top of the mast is about 16' 8 1/2" above the boot stripe, add a bit for the trailer. By fiberglass at the base of the mast do you mean at the step or where the stub passes trough the deck. I would anticipate damage at the hinge, as well as shroud and forestay attachments, before either the step or mast ring. Was the mast damaged? I would expect damage to the fiberglass could be repaired successfully; stresses underway would be different and likely much less than fouling a powerline. Again, photos would help, and what the repair bill detailed.

Many Com-Pac catboats suffer damage because the mast is lowered before the spars and sail have been lowered below the hinge onto the mast stub. Typically the mast track is spread near the hinge, and the goosenecks and slugs don't slide smoothly, or fall out of the track entirely. Be sure to raise the mast and sail and look for track issues in this area. Lots in the archives on this issue to get you started.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Dave-in-RI

I bought a PC two years ago which I sold last year— those prices are way too high for even a good condition used PC. The most important things when buying any boat are ownership history and how well it was maintained. The first has neither, so it's an outright skip. The second is a wildcard (who knows what else that may have done— tensile changes to bolts? Delamination? Irrational fears are still valid if they get in your head and rent space, always making you wonder.) Warren Buffet once said of investing and picking stocks: it's not baseball, there are no outs, you don't need to swing. That comes to mind here. Better to wait and find one elsewhere than overpay for these. And even if you got a deal on them, why bother? Strong advice is to wait and look further away. Do you have an alternate boat you're also considering, like an O'Day Daysailer etc.? More numbers —> lower prices, better odds of a well maintained one. I only wanted a PC and drove several hours and multiple states away to buy one, and the damn thing leaked around the centerboard. The mast was also widened at the sail track so the slugs fell out, and the base was DIY garage kit'ted, so I replaced the whole mast stub. Sold it, then this year I only wanted a Sun Cat. Drove several hours and two states away again, ha, and the boat has all sorts of mystery surprises and gunked up parts (poor owner got dimentia and passed; I bought from a broker/dealer) that I still haven't used it! A new companionway and rudder hardware arrive today, and I finally got some replacement scuppers. I still don't know if it'll float! :) I'm very happy with it either way, as they're rarer than hens teeth up here, but don't want you to buy someone else's problem. Good luck!

MaverNick

Thanks, Bruce and Dave, for your input!
Hearing the thoughts of others like both of you is helpful to me in making a sound decision.

I'll keep looking for a PC because I have sailed other boats, and IMHO, this particular Catboat fits my family's needs best. Although I have only sailed a PC once, I love many characteristics of the boat. Let me add that I owned a CP-19 for three years, and I am sold the the quality of Com-Pac.

My only sense of urgency is that summers tend to fly by, and my children are getting older, and while they still live at home, I'd like to take them sailing - make family day trips to nearby destinations or just go out for an evening cruise with whoever is home. Most importantly, my wife is down with this idea, and she and my youngest daughter look forward to learning to sail.

BTW - Boat #2 lowered its price from $9,000 to $8,500.   

bruce

Thanks for the feedback. You have sailing experience, I'm guessing more than the CP19. You don't want a project, and need a boat that's ready to go. Older kids, but your immediate focus is your wife and youngest daughter who have shown interest.

Sounds like the right boat is more important than price. Boat #2 may work, if it's honestly represented. Damages from hitting a powerline can be readily repaired. If there was fiberglass damage, a good bit of the $1,500 may have been cosmetic. 50%? Do you have photos? Is this thing advertised some place? Send a PM if you don't want to post it where others will see.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI