a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com-Pac on the Thames.

Started by Paul HD, July 26, 2023, 11:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul HD

Finally got my beautiful 23D from the boatyard to the marina.
A 15 mile journey from the non tidal Thames to the tidal Thames.

Unfortunately my inboard is still not working so I used my Epropulsion for part of the trip and then swapped to the petrol Mariner for the tidal part of the journey.

It was a beautiful day for a cruise and all went well. Looking forward to many more trips.

Short clip of the trip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3-DiX5nZJo

Jon898

Fun to see the first photo - Hampton Court Bridge looking toward Molesey lock.  Nostalgic as my parents kept a 25ft river cruiser at the TMYC moorings opposite the lock 60 years ago and I learned to row the dinghy while dodging the hire boats stampeding into and out of the lock.

Jon

Paul HD

I am happy that has bought back some good old memories.

I have driven over that bridge a thousand times, it was great to travel under it for the first time.⛵️

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Paul HD

Quote from: Tim Gardner on July 31, 2023, 09:07:55 AM
Nice!

Thanks Tim.👍🏻 It would be nicer if I could get my inboard to start. Anybody on the forum got a Yanmar 1GM10?

Tim Gardner

1. Turns Over?
2. Compression sound Okay?  Should be hard to crank over by hand on the compression stroke
3. Fuel Flow? I assume you have bled the fuel system
4. It could be something as simple as lack of tappet clearance. These engines lose their clearance and become difficult to start as the valves bed down.

It is also possible that rust has formed on a valve seat where the engine has sat with a valve open and moist air circulating.

Just listening to the engine will confirm if there is compression however one way to get it going after checking the tappets is to squirt engine oil into the intake port. Say about 5 squirts from an oil can then wind over the engine decompressed for a few seconds with full fuel to spread the oil and avoid hydraulic locking. Then release the decompression and start. This oils the bores. Oils the valve seats and the diesel in the pot helps gets things going.

After that, $$$

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Paul HD

Hi Tim,

It does turn over and sounds like it has compression.
The system has been bled.
I will check out your other points. Someone has mentioned the plunger in the fuel pump might be stuck due to it sitting for 3 years and not looked at.

Plenty of things to check. Here in the UK it is a nightmare to find a mechanic, but I suppose it is a good way to get to know the engine.

Cheers,
Paul.

Cpy23ecl

Years ago I had a boat with a 1GM8.  Slime in the fuel tank gummed up the fuel system and after cleaning things out I bled the engine according to the manual but the engine still wouldn't start. 

I finally discovered there was one more bleed screw not mentioned in the manual.  Bled it there and the engine fired right up.  I found it by methodically cracking open fittings starting at the tank and working my way up to the engine to see if I had fuel at each point.  Sorry I can't remember where the bleed screw was but it was over 35 years ago.

Paul HD

Hi Cpy,

We have gone through the bleed system and have replaced filters and new fuel.👍🏻

TopsailB

My CP23D has a 1gm10 engine with an electric fuel pump installed at the tank. Running that pump and bleeding the secondary filter and bleed screw on the injector pump sometimes requires multiple attempts before the engine will start after changing filters.

When first installed I couldn?t get the engine to start after multiple bleeding sessions. Finally I cracked open the nut on the injector, closed the raw water intake, and cranked the engine with the compression lever held open. Fuel spurted from the injector pipe letting me know the fuel pump and injector pump both were working. That narrowed the problem to either a stuck or misadjusted valve, timing or more likely the injector. The injector was removed and found to be gummed such that the needle was frozen in the barrel. My engine had not been used in many years, which made some sense. I was fortunate to find someone to take the injector apart, clean it and install a new needle. Alternately I was prepared to buy a new injector. After reinstalling the rebuilt injector, and bleeding it, the engine fired up and has run well since.

Good luck?
Topsail Beach NC
1989 Com-Pac 27
1986 Com-Pac 23D
1986 Com-Pac 16
1959 Simmons Seaskiff 18

Paul HD

Quote from: TopsailB on August 02, 2023, 02:13:26 PM
My CP23D has a 1gm10 engine with an electric fuel pump installed at the tank. Running that pump and bleeding the secondary filter and bleed screw on the injector pump sometimes requires multiple attempts before the engine will start after changing filters.

When first installed I couldn?t get the engine to start after multiple bleeding sessions. Finally I cracked open the nut on the injector, closed the raw water intake, and cranked the engine with the compression lever held open. Fuel spurted from the injector pipe letting me know the fuel pump and injector pump both were working. That narrowed the problem to either a stuck or misadjusted valve, timing or more likely the injector. The injector was removed and found to be gummed such that the needle was frozen in the barrel. My engine had not been used in many years, which made some sense. I was fortunate to find someone to take the injector apart, clean it and install a new needle. Alternately I was prepared to buy a new injector. After reinstalling the rebuilt injector, and bleeding it, the engine fired up and has run well since.

Good luck?

Hi Topsail.

Many thanks for your reply. Someone else has also told me to check the injector, so that is next on the list.

Regards,
Paul.

Paul HD

Quick update on engine problems.

Got the cylinder head off and the valves were not in good shape. Two new valves and I had the valve seat ground as they were pitted. Now she is running great. :)

Tim Gardner

Valves, hah!

On a couple of Cummins 6BTA I used on a couple of dredges I owned in the 90s, Valves were the weak point. Of course the corrosive air they sucked in didn't help.

Glad you got it running.  Now just go sailing!

TG