Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

27 Cutlass bearing removal

Started by RileyBoo, June 14, 2023, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RileyBoo

Hi all,

I've searched and read all of the threads I could find on the 27 cutlass bearing removal.

My question is, is it possible to change the cutlass bearing without removing the prop shaft (like on a rare perfect day), or is it absolutely mandatory that the shaft comes out first?

I'm just trying to plan ahead before I haul for some upcoming work.  8)
RileyBoo, Eau Gallie, FL
1990 Compac 27/2

Al

Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

Al

(I hate it when that stuff happens)
  Anyhow, IIRC,  (it's been15+- yrs) you will have to remove the shaft.  Also don't miss the sets screws that hod the bearing in place.  Not a difficult job altogether.   I did it by myself.  YMMV
Al
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

RileyBoo

Thanks, Al...I suspected as much. I do about everything myself, and will do this job as well.

I talked to a friend with a similar design (not a Compac) with the same style tube.  He got the set screws out, but he couldn't get the bearing out of the shaft tube (not a surprise). He had to remove the shaft tube and have the bearing pressed out. The whole ordeal took about 4 days.  I will probably use that for my time planning.

RileyBoo, Eau Gallie, FL
1990 Compac 27/2

TopsailB

It is possible to remove the cutless bearing without removing the shaft, but it depends on whether or not the bearing is flush with the end of the stern tube and how much it has worn. The bearing on my boat protruded about an inch from the end of tube and the shaft had a good bit of play. A talk with Gerry Hutchins led me to give it a try before removing the shaft, which requires either dropping the rudder or unbolting the stern tube and sliding it aft  to get enough space to move the shaft past the rudder. Removing the set screws was a bit of a challenge, but once removed I was able to grab the protruding portion of the bearing with a vice grip and twist it out. Inserting the new bearing required putting it in the freezer overnight and using a piece of pipe over the shaft to tap it in, leaving about an inch protruding again for future removal.
Topsail Beach NC
1989 Com-Pac 27
1986 Com-Pac 23D
1986 Com-Pac 16
1959 Simmons Seaskiff 18