a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Greetings! New C16 owner.

Started by Xavier, August 18, 2022, 10:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Javier and live in Miami. I just brought home a little '84 C16 I got locally. I had been eyeing her since I finished my ASA 101 in July at Sara Bay sailing School in Sarasota. I wanted to get back into sailing as I did a bit in my youth and thankfully I had this little gem available near by. I cant wait to take her out of key Biscayne to explore Biscayne Bay. I'm so happy to be able to trailer her and fit her in my small backyard. Outside she's in very good shape but inside she is a WRECK. I was able to get the sale price down thanks to that. As I have no facilities to do the work myself I reached out to Hutchins for restoration and am happy to report that Tyler Hutchins restores C16's and is willing to take her on. This really made my day, to think that she will be well taken care of by the people who built her. I do have a ton of questions and concerns that I've been researching here in this AWESOME forum but may have new ones that are specific to my circumstances. I'm going to try to add a picture, lets see if it works.

Gracias,

Javier

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Xavier

Why thank you Commodore!! My family and I are thinking of "Althea" as her new name. It's a Greek female name for healer. I'm hoping she can mend my stressed out post COVID heart. My son and I rigged her today for the first time and I'm amazed at how quickly it can be done with two. I will have some questions about hardware and boom position as I would like to have it maybe a little higher to put in a Bimini but will be needing some suggestions.

Seachelle

Welcome and many congratulations, Xavier!!! I am so excited for you and your family to have Althea!!!! She is beautiful and you will love sailing her! I have a 2021 Com-Pac Legacy - and, recently, I purchased a 1990 Com-Pac 23D that I have been working on, most of this summer. How exciting that you have Althea under the care of the Hutchins family -- please keep us posted on her refit and would love to see more pics as projects progress!

Fair winds!
~ Chelle
SV Sunflower (Sunny) | 2021 Com-Pac Legacy
SV No Mas! | 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3
sailawaywithchelle.wordpress.com

Bob23

Welcome. welcome and welcome!  Sarah looks like she's been very well cared for, at least on the exterior. Too bad the interior is terrible but look at it this way- you're starting with a blank slate! And how nice that one of the Hutchins will care for her! 

I'm the proud owner of a 1985 23/2 or should I say she owns me! Both I suppose. Keep us posted on your progress and again, welcome!
Bob23 in  NJ

Xavier

Hi Chelle.. thanks for your warm welcome. BTW, I love the pictures of Sunny. The pics are so relaxing. I completely understand your purchase of the 23. I've been thinking of an eventual upgrade to a 19 for a little more interior comfort. But before doing that I am definitely gonna set up the 16 the way I want it and "get good" at sailing my local waters.  But yes, I can definitely see how easy it can be to pick up "new" old boats to work on. I thought sailing  would be the best part but it seems that tinkering and upgrading has a joy I wasn't expecting. I will definitely be uploading progress pics.

Ahoy Bob!! Our vessels are contemporaries. Wow. Thanks for your encouragement. It means a lot to have fellow compac sailors share their good vibes. My hitch hasn't arrived yet and we're not ready to get on the water but that didn't stop us from setting up the rigging and seeing what was needed. Here's a pic. We found that we need a boom tack pin...maybe I'll email the previous owner  to see if he has it laying around somewhere.

5monkeys

Who doesn't love a good Yard Sail!
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Xavier

LOL!!!! ;D
Did you notice the electrical wires right by the stays? I figured I could die or turn into ELECTRO!

5monkeys

I hope they aren't as close as they appear, could be a hair raising experience. :o
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Bob23

No joke. A friend lost her son and husband by being careless about power lines.

Seachelle

Ahoy, Xavier!

Thank you for the lovely comments regarding Sunny's pics -- that is so nice of you to mention!

I, too, thought about going for a 19, but The Universe, I suppose, thought I should go for the 23D. ;D I continue to steadily work away on projects for her and I had been hoping to splash SV No Mas! this season, but it appears the Sailing Trickster had other plans in mind; this, as I was not successful in enlisting some 'peoplepower' at two local marinas to assist with stepping the mast the first time, as well as launching the first time. It seems in my neck of the woods, as far as marina folk go, they're winding the season down, and as such, thinking about pulling boats out of the water for the season instead of launching them. Probably better for my wallet, anyhow, as a month slip fee would cost me approx $500, plus fees for stepping the mast and launching. I'll just put that money aside/towards next season when I will be fully ready to launch SV No Mas! when the season starts in April 2023. Hooray!!!!  :D

Your 16 looks awesome flying her sails!!! So excited for you to get her out on the water! Keep us posted, please -- looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Fair winds,
~ Chelle
SV Sunflower (Sunny) | 2021 Com-Pac Legacy
SV No Mas! | 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3
sailawaywithchelle.wordpress.com

Quote from: Xavier on August 22, 2022, 09:14:35 PM
Hi Chelle.. thanks for your warm welcome. BTW, I love the pictures of Sunny. The pics are so relaxing. I completely understand your purchase of the 23. I've been thinking of an eventual upgrade to a 19 for a little more interior comfort. But before doing that I am definitely gonna set up the 16 the way I want it and "get good" at sailing my local waters.  But yes, I can definitely see how easy it can be to pick up "new" old boats to work on. I thought sailing  would be the best part but it seems that tinkering and upgrading has a joy I wasn't expecting. I will definitely be uploading progress pics.

Xavier

A little belated update on the C-16 restoration. I finally had a window to take her up to Hutchins so I got the family together for the 5 hr drive. I gotta say that I was worried driving so far from home with the trailer but after changing the springs and the electrical I think she preformed admirably. Even though Florida is not known for the safest drivers in the country most people understood I was hauling a boat and just passed without too much hassle. We stopped at a truck stop for a bearing check and they were perfect. They were warm and not over heating. This gave me the final boost of confidence and we didn't stop till Tampa. I wasn't prepared for the added gas expenditure and had to stop in Tampa. The highways there were pretty congested as we got there a little after 5. The trip to Clearwater was fast and Tyler was patiently waiting on us. Once there I was blown away at how friendly and inviting the Hutchins team was. Tyler took her in and has been working on her for a little over two months. He took her despite being in the middle of a lot of work. Since I'm in no particular hurry (sailor blood I suppose) he can take his time. I will send u an update when she's finally done. Hope you all are having a great start of your summer and enjoying your sailing safely and with friends and people you love. Blessings!!