a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer Weight Question

Started by toobob, March 28, 2023, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toobob

I purchased a used Com-Pac 19 in 1993 that has lived its entire life in a Michigan marina on Lake Huron. The trailer was never registered or licensed as it has never left the marina on land.
All the documentation I have is the bill of sale receipt which does not contain the Manufacturer?s Certificate of Origin stating the trailer's weight. Michigan requires documentation of the trailer's weight as the license fees are based in weight. I am now moving and unable to register and license the trailer without a document certifying the weight of the trailer.

I know that the boat and trailer were originally sold by Hutchins as a package in 1984. I have corresponded with Hutchins and was told that the trailer weighs 500 lbs, but they have not responded to my request for documentation of the weight. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can get documentation of the weight of a Hutchins Com-Pac 19 trailer weight?

Thanks, Bob

Jim in TC

In that situation with a utility trailer back in the day I went to our local rock and asphalt plant and they were happy enough to weigh the trailer (though admittedly I think they knew me as a customer). Not sure what other businesses might have a scale like that...look for any business that sells material by the trailer load. Maybe a well-equipped landscaping supplier?
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Roland of Macatawa

Consider asking the assistance of the Mid-Michigan Com-Pac dealer.
He may have delivered that sailboat, or similar, when new.

Rob Voigt at Great Lakes Sailboat Co.
http://glsailboatco.com/index.htm

As point of reference, my SunDayCat trailer is Michigan-licensed at 320lb.
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Jim in TC

Just checked my Sun Cat trailer registration. Under fee cat/wt it says 001700. I am confident this isn't a 1700 pound trailer, making me wonder if there is a way around actual weight. Have you talked with someone at the Sec of State? The smaller Holder trailer is listed at 320 lb in the same place, which I expect is actual wt. Contacting Rob is a great idea; even if he didn't handle this boat, he will have run into this issue many times, I expect.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

mikew

Bob, I am going through the same problem with my 1983 Cp-16. My old docs were missing so it was registered as a home built ( even though is it a Hutchins trailer). My new state ( Fla)  wanted the net weight. The local DMV said bring the trailer to a county landfill scale and bring back the weight slip. The only problem is finding a suitable dock or ramp to launch the boat while you weigh the trailer. Your DMV may have a list of suitable scales to use, and may issue a temp tag to let you transport it.
Mike

toobob

Thanks to all for suggestions. Gerry Hutchins saved the day with a letter documenting the trailer weight, manufacturer, etc. Great people the Hutchins. Proud to be part of the family.
Thanks again to everyone.
Bob

Bob23

Greetings Toobob from another Bob, from NJ! Happy to have you aboard and you are right- the Hutchins have set the standard for customer service! Glad you have resolved your problems. Happy sailing to you!!
Bob23

toobob

Thanks again for the replies.
Now I've got another question. Does anybody know what size wheels and tires the Hutchins trailer for a Compac 19 has? Mine's a couple hundred miles away right now, but it needs new ones.
Thanks.

Andre

I have no idea, but unless it's a relatively recent trailer there's a possibility that the wheels and tires may have been replaced and are now different from the original build. The manufacturer and trailer serial number should help get you the original sizes. If you were to buy them from a place with a generous return policy you could always take a chance.

Or find someone to take a photo of the tire for you. Maybe someone here lives close by?

Andre

MacGyver

I can get the size today in the next couple hours.
Also, the bolt together trailer style is 500 pounds, I believe mine was exactly 498. Weighed a few years ago at the local grain place, on scales that had just been calibrated the day prior.
I also found the boat to weigh in at just about 2000 pounds, without mast and some of the stuff inside it.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

Tire size, My originals were these, and I blew one immediately when I bought it, so I upgraded the tires to the best in this size, keeping the same size here is the data and a link to where I purchased them at. I am not affiliated with the company but have purchased from them MANY times without issue, including my camper tires where I had rim issues and they took care of the problems immediatly, no issues and so I can say their service is excellent and probably the best of all companies I deal with.

Tire size is 205/65-10  and listed right below that is 20.5 X 8.0 - 10
This is what I had bought, Load Range E, which they were a Load range C, from what I could guess is under rated due to the specs I got when I weighed the boat and trailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Wheels/Kenda/AM3H490.html

That is the Rim and Tire, and it is a 5 bolt hub style.

I have had these tires since 2013 I think, no issues but used lightly minus the trip to Oklahoma from Illinois, and back when she wanted a divorce (the ex wife wanted the divorce, not the boat, hence why the boat and I were able to continue our marriage and come back home to Illinois )

Load Range E is rated at 1650 lbs at 90 PSI. that makes a total at 3,300 lbs, over the needed rate since the boat comes to 2500 per my numbers in the last post, but figure you add the mast and such bringing the load to lets say 3000 lbs tops. The axle is supposedly a 2500, which are typically under rated for safety.

hope this information helps!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Floridagent

I recently bought a travel trailer.  I went to a seminar at a huge RV show in Tampa and learned everything I need to know about weighing my trailer and my total truck and trailer rig.  Just Google "CAT Scales".  The site provides a locator search for their scales at truck stops all over the country— all of which are certified.  $13.00 is all it costs.  If you need a re-weigh that day, the re-weigh is $3.50 for each re-weigh.  Simple and professional.  And, no holding up and bothering customers behind you at the local dump scales.
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")