News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The How to DIY sections is now open for tryout!

Started by Tim Gardner, June 25, 2012, 03:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Gardner

Ladies & Gents,

Mac made this suggestion & I thought it a good one to try out:

"I am on several forums and another that I frequent almost as often as I do this forum had me thinking about asking if you guys thought about doing a "how to DIY" submission section, and a "How To DIY Articles" part?

A little more explanation:  On the Ranger Forums, we have a spot that someone will submit a article like thing that users can check out, lets say for instance changing spark plugs on our engine (4.0 SOHC V6)
In that article we have pictures and such, notes, etc. This then is in the submission part where people look it over and add if needed using suggestions, etc. that sometimes the original maker will add or modify suggestions into his post, etc.
After so much time, or if admins believe it is solid enough, it gets moved to the "How To" part as a solid submission.
In those forums we cover all different Ford Rangers and only have one section to cover them all as far as this DIY thing goes, and a few are specific to one Ranger but the articles take the scariness out of the issues for most users.

My thoughts: Removing hardware, such as a winch, is a big job for some people, even removing teak, daunting!  But for guys like me, those are projects are easily taken on and done. We have been there, had the issues and took pictures hopefully, or will!
A DIY jib furler, applies to all boats, removing a hatch, reseal, all boats, etc.
Even a specific DIY setup can supply ideas and such for other boats, rewarding us with more how to do's.

Anyway, Just thought it may help, as sometimes I see things in other sections, and frankly sometimes I find the Gems in other boats stuff, etc. and think wow, that would work for me if I did some modifications.

To cut this lengthy post down (as my wife says I am way too thorough most times....) I have some layout work and stuff done already if anyone is interested. Just let me know.

Hope I am not stepping over my bounds! And if this is stupid, no hard feelings!
I love these forums! almost as much as my wife! Cheesy"
<(*.*)>   Mac

Well, let's have some submissions!

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

MacGyver

Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

MKBLK

Super idea! You can be sure that I'll be a regular reader (and hopefully, in the future, poster) of this great feature.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch