a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Emergency Tiller and updates on Nydra

Started by pbrenton, March 01, 2023, 11:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrenton

I need an emergency tiller, there was none on board Nydra when I bought her a year ago.  Anyone have a source?  It looks like a simple square bolt head on top of the rudder stock. 

For anyone interested, I'm in Maine, and my plan when I bought Nydra for $21k last winter was to have the Westerbeke 18 refurbished this winter.  She got us from Falmouth Mass to Maine (150 nm) mostly under motor without obvious problems, then the first week of June about 1/2 mile from the mooring the engine stopped, never to run again.  The Yard found no compression, and we pulled her out.  The estimate for rebuilding was about $10k, which is less than the price of a new engine, so we decided to repower with a new Nanni 21/3 diesel.  In the process we are also replacing the prop and prop shaft.  I'm happy to be making the propulsion "bulletproof" and glad I underbid the seller somewhat dramatically. 

I'm somewhat concerned that the steering "quandrant" (it's wheel, not a quandrant, what's that called?) is "furry" with corrosion.  I think it's aluminum.  Is this a point of failure too?  I'm asking the yard to look at it but any advice appreciated,as always.

Pete

Thanks!

Pete
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

Bob23

Hi Pete. I'm not familiar with the Nanni diesels. What's the big advantage over a Yanmar or Westerbeke? Where are they made? Interesting.
Bob23

pbrenton

Hi Bob!

Nanni is a marinized Kubota tractor engine.  Kubota is in Japan and Nanni is in France.  Nanni has been making engines (or rather, marinizing engines) for 60 years.  The 21/3 is an inline three cylinder, 21hp engine.  70 amp alternator is standard, otherwise it's about the same as the Westerbeke 18 its replacing.  We can reuse the water and exhaust infrastructure.  We are replacing the prop.

The advantage is my tiny boat yard knows the engine, has a few in other boats they take care of, and the parts are widely available in the northeast.  Basically I trust my yard and they recommended this engine.  You can find the spec sheet at https://nannienergy.com/products/  There's no electronics, unlike (I hear) the Yanmar?

It's not terribly important on the Compac, but the service-requiring parts (oil filter, impeller/pump) are at the forward end of the engine, so if you don't have good side access its convenient.  There's a built in hand pump for changing the oil, but I'm not sure we'll have the clearance for the stroke.

Pete 
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

Lucky enough

In regards to the quadrant, mine was loose when I bought it used. Com-pac had recently replaced rudder that was bent in a grounding. I found two small nut and bolts on outside of quadrant completely fallen off and the two large bolts loose. Keyway was sitting proud. I replaced outer nuts with  nylock nuts, tapped keyway flush and lock tire on large bolts. Not sure if factory forgot to tighten but don?t want it to happen again. Emergency tiller is very crude. Surveyor told me what it was otherwise I would never have guessed what it was.