Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Seeking info on CP16

Started by derfeznoj, February 24, 2023, 12:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfeznoj

I'm considering a mid-80s CP16-2 and have a couple questions
1. What are the average rigging times from parking near a ramp and getting ready to launch?
2. What are the main issues to look for with a mid-80s boat (keel, CB, bilge, rot)?

mikew

Hello, I have owned an 81 and 83 CP 16 and here is some info. The average time to rig the boat from
trailering to launch is about 30 min. I single hand mostly but if you have an knowledgeable crew it really helps. Two tips to speed it up, leave the two side stays attached so when raising the mast you only have to attach the forward stay. Another tip is to have the main sail foot already on the boom with battens in their pockets and main furled down on the boom. If you can-  stow the boom / sail like this at home and transport it the same way, it saves a lot of time.
When buying one, the cabin should be dry with no de lamination of the plywood shelves / bunks. Same for the rear lazerette area. The hull only has plywood encapsulated in the transom to support the rudder mount and motor mount and is usually not a problem. My boats only had a shoal draft keel wth no cb. If the boat is stored in freezing weather the hull needs to be kept dry in the cabin area because water can seep down into the internal concrete keel and crack the surrounding fiberglass. So check the keel area for cracked fiberglass or swelling. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Mike