a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Winch upgrade to self tailing

Started by Endeavor, March 10, 2023, 12:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endeavor

I have the opportunity to free source two older Enkes 18S self tailing winches that hopefully I can rejuvenate and I want to install them on my 23. Problem is the winch base is about a half inch larger than what is currently there. 

Bob, I see from your previous posts that you?ve got self tailers and the nice video that you and Kevin made removing them. My question is were there any modifications to the teak base or was it a straight fit? I'm wondering if I need to get new teak winch base blocks, as well as considering changing the angle to better meet the jib sheet. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

1984 Com-Pac MKII 311

Bob23

Hello Mr. Endeavor... I will endeavor to answer your question but I don't know how much help I'll be. The Andersen winches I have were already on the boat when I bought her. A close up photo that I have shows my winch bases are a bit bigger than the teak mounting base but I've never had a problem with the installation or the winches. My teak bases seemed to be installed with 5200, I tried at one point to remove them for refinishing but they wouldn't budge so I had no choice but to leave them and refinish in place.

For me, self tailers are a must so I'd say just go for it, especially if you can get 'em for free! Maybe you can make a secondary round transition base for under your new winches.... just a thought.
Bob23