- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Right of Way Question

Started by Andre, October 20, 2022, 04:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre

Hi all,

This just crossed my mind .....

I'm familiar with the basics of the rules of the road so to speak, enough to keep myself out of trouble. I mostly sail my PC and HC on a lake, occasionally on bigger boats in salt water. I'm always prudent and avoid coming close to other boats.

Now here's my question - if there are racers sailing a race course do they get priority over a casual sailor like me by virtue of participating in a racing event? Or is it just a matter of courtesy and not being rude? Don't get me wrong - I always stay away from the racers (Sunfish up to Flying Scots on my lake) and would always try to give right of way to racers but what are the actual rules?

Andre

bruce

I don't recall hearing about any special consideration given to racing sailboats in my navigation and ship handling classes in the Navy. Vessels fishing, vessels towing other vessels, or otherwise restricted in maneuvering yes, but not racing sailboats per se. Of course, all powerboats are to give way to sailboats, if possible given depth requirements of larger vessels, and non-racing sailboat to sailboat encounters are covered of course.

The link seems to think there is a provision in the regs, under "Other Cases". So, maybe?
https://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Right-of-Way-and-Whos-Bigger/-20208?source=google

This link seems to cover it pretty well, I'd go with this.
https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2021/08/01/racing-rules-vs-rules-of-the-road/
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

brackish

Kind of like you don't have an in depth knowledge, but don't think there is any consideration given.  I do know many people do not understand the default "least maneuverable vessel"  I've had the yacht club kids on sunfish yelling "Starboard" to me sailing a thirty foot fin keel boat down a narrow channel to harbor, rock wall on one side, shoals on the other.  My favorite is guy on a small sailboat considering he had right of way over our half dozen USMC amphibious tractors heading to the beach.  Hoped he was kidding, there is nothing that floats that is less maneuverable than those things.  Not talking about the latest version, may be better, these were pre sixty models.

Jon898

If you're not racing, then the COLREGS or the Inland Regs govern (as applicable).

Both of those regulations are aimed at preventing collisions by making vessel movements predictable.  It is courteous to keep out of the way of a racing fleet, but not at the expense of doing something unpredictable, particularly if in turn you cause a collision.

Note that most racing fleets seem to believe they not only have right of way but own the entire body of water to the exclusion of all.  I used to sail on the Solent, and it was always fun to watch the Cowes racing fleets try to claim to be stand-on to the cross-Channel ferries bearing down on them at 20+ knots while constrained to the dredged channel by their draft.

Jon

Jim in TC

I always try to stay out of the way of racing sailboats but hey, they are a lot faster than our Sun Cat. One time out on the Bay I was watching and avoiding the racers from one side but quite suddenly, or so it seemed to me, there was a small and very swift "pack" of them bearing down from the other. I was about to take evasive maneuvers when a nearby guy on a trapeze, hollered "just hold your course" and they all buzzed by close off the stern. I try even harder, now, to stay out of the way...but I believe, as others have implied, it is more a courtesy than a requirement. Chapman's offers no specific guidance. But while racers may not be "restricted in ability to maneuver," they certainly have an interest in holding their course, and I think it is prudent and courteous to respect that.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Andre

Thank you all for your comments.

Andre

Bob23

I like how the rules of the road are summed up in 2 simple words: Avoid collision. Good advice for boaters and good advice for life!

5monkeys

I'm sitting here considering how, I used to think having the "right of way" was better... but sometimes the pressure of being the "stand on" boat is actually worse. "Can I actually keep my boat on this course until we are safely away..."
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

slode

One point I would stress hard that no one else has brought up is, if you are on a lake with a sailboat racing going on STAY THE HELL AWAY from any markers, and the committee boat.  It's not too big a deal to cross a racecourse and maneuver around a boat or two.  But screwing with a boat's mark rounding is sure to piss even the nicest sailor off. 

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

bruce

Andre asked if the racers had any standing. I think we all agree to give them space out of courtesy, as we do random drivers on the road. Defensive driving is beneficial for our own, and other's, safety. But, when they start expecting that deference, for no reason, it becomes a problem. I have no problem pissing off some random dude that thinks he's special.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

kickingbug1

oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Jim in TC

Quote from: Bob23 on October 25, 2022, 06:26:25 PM
I like how the rules of the road are summed up in 2 simple words: Avoid collision. Good advice for boaters and good advice for life!

True enough, and Chapman's offers the following advice "Be aware that not all skippers know the Rules!" with "avoid collision" in the follow-up.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel