Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard Advisor

Started by mgoller, October 15, 2006, 11:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgoller

Hi All,
I have spent the better part of the summer repairing my 2 stroke outboard.  I have read every bit of advice regarding trouble shooting and diagnosis to get my Iron Wind blowin again.
If any of you want, please use this thread to ask questions and I'll give you some ideas.
Did you know that you can know what the compression should be?  Multiply your compression ratio by 14.7 PSI at sea level.  You can detect a bad coil with a voltmeter attached to ground through the spark plug lead?  You can blow out a carb without removing it?
After fixing every dad-blame thing I had bad condensors - the part everyone says never goes bad.
So after new rings, reed plates, two carb rebuilds, new points twice, new coils, a complete teardown, it runs like a powerful little sewing machine.  A good spark tester would have saved me a lot of time!  You can make one with two nails and a piece of wood.
Have your manual (otherwise you're guessing) and post your questions.
It only takes three things to run a motor - compression, air/fuel mixture, and good spark.  Missing one - it wont run.  Oh, its good to get the spark at the right time.
A four stroke isn't much different except the way the air/fuel mixture is drawn in.  A compression check detects poorly sealing valves.

LConrad

OK, How about keeping a Tohatsu 9.8 B two stroke going?  The previous owner let some old gas stay in there. 

I have cleaned the carburator three times with kits, new gas, new filter and even a new tank.  I reinstalled the carb today and the engine fired right off.  Ran great for 10 - 15 minutes and then stopped dead in it's tracks.  Got so frustrated that I pulled the CP 23 today.  I can almost be sure I will find gunk in the main jet - again.  Any help would be appreciated.

If we have no ideas, who makes the best engine?

mgoller

LConrad,
That is a hard one.  I had an old Morris Minor I stored for 5 years in a hot California garage.  The entire fuel system turned to thick varnish. From the tank to the carb.  That's a lot of parts filled with mollasses.
If you have replaced tank, filter, cleaned the carb, you're almost there.  Don't give up.
Put some "Sea Foam" in the gas and then try to pump some straight "sea foam" through with the choke out full and crank the engine.  You could squirt it in through the inlet or let the pump suck it straight in by using a short hose out of the sea foam can.  It wont fire but it should start to fill the carb, jets and case with "sea foam".  Yeah, it will flood.
Let it sit for a day.
Screw in the low speed idle jet till seated.  Get a small piece of rubber tubing about 3/8" D. and cover the vent on the carb.  Blow through the tube.  This should start to clear the high speed port.  There is no where else for the contents of the bowl to go.  (Now close the high speed needle if possible).  Open the low speed idle to your previous setting and blow again.  The contents of the bowl will be empty of most of the "Sea Foam" by now.
Then take the plugs out, ground the leads and crank till you dry out the cylinders.   
Use your pressure bulb to refill the carb with clean fuel/oil mix.  Put the plugs back in and give it a try.  The appropriate amount of "sea foam" in the fuel should continue cleaning dissolving any more varnish.
Let me know.

mgoller

Conrad,
There are as many opinions on best engine as there are engines.  Two strokes are funny, they need fiddling to get started, but they are the simplest machine with few parts.  my 1973 Johnson is like new and will go as long as they make parts.
CD ignition is far more care free, and four strokes start so easy.
I liked a Honda four stroke I used once - my 6 year old could have started it.  And a Mercury 4HP was nice.  I think it all has more to do with the care we take.  When these engines start acting up they need some love.

HORI

LConrad
I had TOHATSU 5, two stroke and had similar problem. It stopped in 5—6 minutes and could not be come back easily. However, after carb overhaul, it worked very well. I also think you are almost there. Please do not give up.
Who makes the best engine is difficult part. TOHATSU is also good. They are the first company who started making outboard motor in Japan.
It is nice and strong. I hope you will fix that soon.

LConrad

Well, it is off the boat and in the garage for a last try.  It seems odd that the engine ran several weeks after the second cleaning.  Third cleaning only lasted a few minutes.  I will clean that last little section of fuel line.  Should I replace the line between the tank and the engine?

mgoller

Hi,
Yeah the problem with old gas turning to varnish is that you will continue to have problems as it slowly dissolves and dislodges and finds its way to the filter, pump and carb.  It turns to a soft caramel and then corn syrup consistency as it softens.
You've got to replace the whole line from tank to carb, clean the carb, clean the pump, clean the tank spotless.  Otherwise you'll have reccurring problems as you have found.
You can save the old fuel line parts as spares as long as they are cleaned well.

davestlouis

I can vouch for SeaFoam...I play with old Mercedes cars and have found that SeaFoam makes them belch white smoke that smells awful, but is great for cleaning gunk and varnish from fuel systems.  You will have ongoing issues with the varnish until it is all dissolved and out of the system, and when you think you've gotten it all, one more clump will emerge, and make it stop running.  If you keep attacking it, you will eventually get the system cleaned out.

LConrad

Well folks, I broke down this spring and bought a new carb. to be sure it was clean.  The folks at Internet Outboards told me how challenging it can be to get a dirty carb clean.  Also installed new fuel line & all.  So far the engine is working fine.  Thanks for the encouragement to keep trying before spending two grand on a new engine. Wish me luck for the rest of the season.......  Happy sailing!

multimedia_smith

HI Guys..
I was checking out antique Seagull engines and I just found this little thingy... it weighs 16 lbs. and is 2 hp... for $400
has anyone used one of these?  Very interesting ... (I already have a Honda 2 hp long shaft, but this is pretty cool looking)

http://www.boatingchannel.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/bcs/product_display.html?prodid=PJ2HP

pelican

I have a passion for collecting old outboards, fishing tackle , wood water skis and the list goes on. I am trying to get over this addiction but I keep back sliding when I run into the early or unique motors.

I purchased a small off brand foreign motor very similar to the one in your add for 50.00 at a local flea market. It ran OK when it ran but now it is getting difficult to start. The carb and the motor in general reminds me of a mid priced weedeater. The motor seems light and fragile

I had an outboard mechanic friend look at it and he played around with it and gave it back to me after a couple of weeks. He said information and parts would be difficult to get and not worth the time. He suggested that I take it to a lawn mower/ weedeater repair shop.

I am no expert, but my impression of those little motors is buy it, use it and toss it when the repairs are beyond changing a spark plug.

Regards and good sailing
Terry

pelican

PS ,   I wouldn't bank on the manufacture being able to provide replacement parts in the distant future. In my opinion, better off with a long time motor manufacture.

mgoller

Briggs and Straton has entered the outboard market with an air cooled engine similar to the mini max in the ad you posted.  A 2hp might be a bit under powered for a CP 16.  But the price is good.  I wonder where they port the exhaust?  Probably through a muffler.  I like the sound of the exhaust in the water.  My old Johnson 6hp sounds like a purring sewing machine at a troll.
I looked and looked at buying a new engine and settled for repairing my Johnson 6hp seahorse.  I am glad I did.