a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Videos of my new-to-me 23D MK3

Started by Seachelle, July 22, 2022, 01:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seachelle

Hope this finds you all having an amazing sailing season!!! SV No Mas!, my new-to-me 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3, has been at my place, on the hard, a little over a month now. I made a couple of videos showcasing the features that her 2nd owner, Ron Chappel, did to outfit her for coastal cruising. I am racing to get work done on her so that I can splash her by August, so as to get in at least 2.5 months of sailing with her before my season wraps up this year (I can't believe it's only that short amount of time before the season ends -  :-\ ).

New Boat Tour: 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJMgodQykyY
Diesel Engine, Thru-hulls, Sails, & More! (SV No Mas!/Com-Pac 23D MK3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCf3aEQBpsQ

Fair winds,
~ Chelle
SV Sunflower (Sunny) | 2021 Com-Pac Legacy
SV No Mas! | 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3
sailawaywithchelle.wordpress.com

brackish

Chelle, great videos, enjoyed the tour.  Lots of differences to my 23IV outboard model, some I think I would prefer.

Dirt Daubers....we had a thread on them...I get a lot and have never found a deterrent.  I keep a dust buster in the dock box and every time I'm up there (35 miles house to boat) I search for them. scrape them off, vacuum them up and spray spots with crud cutter to wipe them clean.  You're lucky none in the engine compartment, they even get inside the cowl of my outboard and nest in there.  Regular wasps seem to be deterred by Irish Spring soap, but not the dirt daubers.

You show a bolt rope on your main, and yes it is meant to be in the boom slot, but I run mine loose footed even with the bolt rope.  Don't know for sure if it helps, seems to, that foot looses shape when in the slot.  Seems I can get more tension on it loose footed

Notice a piece of teak across the beadboard ceiling and wondered what it is?  do you have a seam there? mine does not have that teak trim. 

I'll watch again and will probably have more questions, and maybe suggestions. 

Seachelle

Hi, brackish!

Thank you for watching the vids and for the info re: the daubers, bolt rope, and more -- I would love to compare more notes on our boats. I would have been curious to know what my boat was like before her refit with Ron Chappell, but I am not sure if I could locate that data or not. Maybe Com-pac would share with me...but, not sure if they keep records from that long ago or not. If I'm being fully honest, usually, I don't go for a boat that has been modified, but in this particular case, I felt comfortable given the boat's track record that is well-documented online (including this forum), and as Ron wrote for Good Old Boat magazine, and had articles about the boat published in that mag, it gave me confidence as well.

I did some more detailed reading in No Mas!'s manual yesterday -- it is THICK -- like 4 inches thick -- and full of all sorts of information on all of her systems. I started to feel overwhelmed and felt a pit growing inside of my stomach afterwards! There is so much I need to learn, and though it will be an incredible learning experience and offer opportunity for growth as a sailor, I do feel I have a, somewhat, daunting journey ahead.

When I started my search for a 23, I wanted a boat that did not offer that of No Mas!' complements. I wanted, essentially, a boat like my Legacy (simple systems), only in a 23 ft'er. Yet, when I saw No Mas! online, there was something which compelled me to pursue the boat. I felt confident about my direction at that point in time, but now that I have the boat, and given what I need to learn, I feel almost as if I'll never get the boat in the water as I have so much to learn about her systems.

At this stage, I am really focusing on trying not to let my anxious mind runaway with me anymore than it already has -- and trying to focus, as well, on finding solutions to my anxieties by taking it day by day and finding rewards in the small steps of progress I make, like in clearing out the dauber nests. :-)

Re: the teak on the beadboard -- I don't believe that there is a seam there, but I will look more closely when I'm on the boat next time.

Fair winds,
~ Chelle

brackish

Chelle, take a deep breath and relax, the 23 is a simple boat compared to others I've had and sailed even with the modifications. My satchel is at least four inches thick, maybe more full of manuals and instruction sheets.  Focus on the diesel first, you want to make sure you know how to protect it for it is an expensive piece of iron that you might have to depend on to get you out of a jam.  Then any nav stuff you have same reason.  Read up on your thru hulls and seacocks another critical area.  Then get it in the water get some sailing in and save the rest for winter reads. You'll be fine. Plenty of folks here to help, even former owner(s) of that boat I believe.

Seachelle

Thanks so much, brackish! Yes, many deep breaths, indeed, I need to take. I just looked at a beautiful 1990 CP19 (see Classifieds on the forum, I posted a link there) and, honestly, if I had not purchased my 23D, I would be all over this 19 that I just saw. I think it's more my speed, with where I am in my sailing needs/situation. I'm afraid that I, very sadly, may have bitten off more than I can chew with my new boat, and at this point, I'm thinking I might even try to list her for sale. She deserves an owner who's much more knowledgable/capable than myself; someone who can utilize her awesome coastal cruising features. (I sail on a small inland lake.) In hindsight, I will tell you that I was, sort of, slightly 'encouraged,' shall we say, to move forward with the purchase of my 23D from some people that I trust, yet deep down, I am now feeling like I should have listened more closely to my gut feelings. I think that I need a boat that is more simple, mostly due to time constraints, but also due to my lack of understanding on many of the boat's numerous systems. It is important, as well as appealing, to me to learn new skills and grow as a sailor, but I also have to be honest with myself about what I am able to do right here, right now. In the meantime, I am going to continue to work on the boat with sanding and painting the bottom (that will be my next video, most likely), and I plan to give a thorough cleaning inside as well as outside (wax/polish), and tackle the teak. On that note... time to get outfitted with the 'bunny suit' (protective suit), the goggles, gloves, N95 mask, etc for sanding the bottom. I have a cool day, here, today and I am going to take advantage of this cooler weather to get some work done.

Thanks, again, for your support and chiming in on things -- sure means a lot to me!

Fair winds,
~ Chelle

Al

Hi Chelle,  Don't feel overwhelmed by the 23.  Or its' diesel.  The boat is easy to sail, I've owned one (20 yrs ago) which I'd moved up to after a 16.  And sailed one single handed several times in the Spring last yr which was a 23D.  After I'd sailed the one 20 yrs ago a few times, someone who had a 16 was thinking about moving up to a 23 and thought she'd have to have lessons to learn it.  I told her it was easier to sail than the 16.  Never saw her again, so don't know what she did.
  The diesel is nothing to worry about, the small ones like used in the 23 & 27's are simple, very trouble free.  Just ck the oil and water every so often, change oil yearly, carry a spare water pump impeller, and it shouldn't bother you at all. 
  Yours looks much nicer below than my old one did.  Keep it, use it, enjoy it.  :D
Al
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

Seachelle

Thank you, Al, for replying to my thread and for your kind words of wisdom, too. I've been able to get the bottom of the boat sanded (arms and shoulders super sore from using that electric sander!) and am about to start bottom painting as I've got another couple of days of great weather to tackle this job.

I'm hoping to deliver the boat to the marina this Sunday and then launch the following week. I've found 'a guy' at the marina who said that he would help me with raising the mast, checking things over (thru-hulls/seacocks), etc. prior to launch. The engine, according to the former owner, is ready to go with servicing he performed prior to the sale. I am hoping the engine will start AOK. Not quite sure how to test that out of water (no water source), but hoping it will all be good to go for launching.

I plan to keep a diary/journal of sorts, here, chronicling my steps/progress to get the boat splashed and ironing out the details, etc. Of course, I also will be writing about it all on my blog as well. Thanks so much, again, for contributing your thoughts/post -- it's truly great to have so much support on this forum!

Fair winds,
~ Chelle

Seachelle

Well, as the saying goes, "Little by little, a little becomes a lot." I finally tackled the sanding and the bottom painting on SV No Mas! I documented, in video, the process -- not in great detail, but it's satisfying to see the transformation, nonetheless. The work was spread out over about 4 days. Mostly, I waited for a weather window in which it wasn't too hot to work outdoors. I cannot tolerate high heat plus high humidity. Fortunately, the sailing gods smiled upon me, most of last week. and allowed a reprieve in the hot, humid weather; I was able to work fairly comfortably, even despite the 'bunny suit/protective gear,' etc. Here is the video, in case you'd care to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHd4DrEtiMo. Note that where I discuss safety gear for painting (around 4:34), I mention goggles twice, however I had meant to say 'gloves' instead of repeating goggles. Those words that start with 'g' always hang me up! ;D :D ;D :D

Fair winds!
~ Chelle

Al

Hi Chelle,  Looks great, now to get her in the water  ;)
  One question, why did you not use a roller?
Al
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

Seachelle

Hi, Al! PM'd you, too, but yeah, in a nutshell, the can of paint (it was the biggest size you can get; I think it's a gallon) was over $300 and I didn't want to lose a drop of the stuff and make a mess trying to pour it into the paint tray -- the paint can was super heavy and I knew that I'd get it everywhere in trying to do so. I dipped the paint brush in the can and used the paint tray to catch drippings, while I worked on the boat, so that there was the least amount of waste as possible. Once the paint got lower in the can, I was able to pour without making a mess/losing paint. The 2nd coat was all done with the roller (except the hard to reach places). Just wish that I could have used the roller on that first coat, too.

Fair winds,
~ Chelle

Seachelle

Thurs., Aug. 4th: SV No Mas! Progress Report

Hello, CPYOA friends!

I am not sure if anyone really cares to read these updates, but for the sake of SV No Mas' documentation, I thought that I would keep up with it, following in the footsteps of her prior stewards, here, on the forum.

Today was a good day. As I mentioned before, little by little, a little becomes a lot. Today wasn't too hot, so I gave No Mas a much needed bath. Only the top sides, tho, not the deck yet. I washed her hull thoroughly with a good cleaner, and then toweled her dry with a microfiber cloth.

After confirming all surfaces of the hull were dried enough, I used Star-Brite's boat polish on her (the one that is for light-medium oxidation). WOW! What a difference the polish makes! I was only was able to get one side done, but will finish up the other side tomorrow. I'll probably have to wash that side again, just lightly, before I polish it; this, as I live on a blasted limestone gravel road, and with these hot, dry conditions as of the late, those whom drive by kick up, stir up all kinds off gravel dust clouds that covers every surface in proximity.

I'm...we're getting there. Hoping to splash next week!

Hope everyone is getting out on the water and spreading their wings!

Fair winds!
~ Chelle

Seachelle

Hello, CPYOA friends ~

Since I last wrote, I've been trying to schedule SV No Mas! for splashing, but I'm running into all sorts of obstacles. Said obstacles consist of coordinating with my marina and a man, who owns a storage outfit across from the marina, who happens to be the only local 'go-to guy' to help sailors (the marina has no one on their staff to work with sailors). It has been an extremely frustrating situation with calls, texts going unanswered or responded to. I imagine many of the 23 owners here on this forum are likely very comfortable with stepping their masts and launching their 23s, but being that I've never done it before, I wanted to hire some help for our first time.

No Mas! needs more work with her teak and giving her interior a good cleaning, so I am just continuing with the work and using the time productively rather than allowing myself to get stuck in a cycle of frustration that leads me nowhere. It is looking more like I will not get her splashed this season, given the amount of red tape I've been trying to cut through. I am considering trying a different lake at this point as I'm just so spent in trying to deal with the marina where Sunny (my Legacy) is located.

Speaking of Sunny: If you follow my blog, you'll remember my last post was about Sunny's motor going ka-put. Well, the good news is that we ordered a brand new outboard -- can you believe it, but it took only one week for it to come in! We are SO thrilled! Every outfit we had called told us there was a months-long wait list to get a new motor, but we called the Tracker Boats in our area, as a last effort, and wouldn't you know it, they had all sorts of small outboards in stock, but not a long shaft -- but they told us it would only be a week to get one in, and they kept their promise! We are picking it up today. It's a Mercury 3.5 hp long shaft. I cannot wait to get it on Sunny so we can get back to some sailing before the season wraps up.

Speaking of engines: I revisited the videos that No Mas!s' prior owner ('Mas New England,' I think is his username here) had made for me (22 videos!) when he sold the boat to me. Specifically, I was looking for the videos he made re: the Yanmar diesel that No Mas! has. He showed me how to start/test the engine, out of the water, using a bucket of water. That said, my husband and I followed his instructions and we had a successful start and run of her Diesel engine, which was awesome to see things working as they should! YAY!

I've decided to give myself breathing room and space to let things just go with the flow re: No Mas! and stop the madness in trying to rush to get everything done so as to splash her before the season is over. All of these hangups I'm getting with the marina and the local sailor guy, I think, are signs from the universe to stop trying so hard-- stop forcing it, in other words -- and rather let things fall into place naturally. I have grown weary from being so frustrated in dealing with others from my marina to help me. At times, again, I feel like maybe getting this bigger sailboat was too much for me to do, given my abilities and available time. Regardless, I am tickled every morning I get up and see No Mas! sitting in my barn's driveway and seeing the progress in the work we've done on her -- that is something to be said in and of itself.

Fair winds!
~ Chelle

Mountain Sailor

I care to read your posts, Chelle — please keep them coming!

Not just to document your journey with No Mas!, but to share with all of us. Trust me — many people read, but don't reply. (I read for months before my first reply...)

So sorry to hear about your challenges with getting her splashed. All the work you're doing now will be worth it in the long run — whenever you get her in the water.

Maybe this summer and fall is just for you to slow down, spend time with her so the two of you can get to know each other all the better.

The same thing has happened in my world around Passionate Spirit. This past week I realized there's no way she's gonna get splashed in September. Which pushes her potential launch back to around Thanksgiving due to several previous commitments this fall: friends visiting, 50th HS reunion, camping one weekend on gorgeous Lake Jocassee with Sweet Dreams, and a niece's wedding.

At first, that was hard to accept, but now it's Just. What. Is. And I trust there's good reason to 'ride the horse in the direction it's going'.

So keep loving up on No Mas! and you'll be fine with whatever time table is revealed.

Finally, in the words popularized by one of my favorites sites of all time — www.offcenterharbor.com:

"It's August.

Start off slow.

Then ease up."
2017: Penobscot 14, Sweet Dreams - launched after a 10-year build
2022: 2010 Com-Pac 23 IV, #650, Passionate Spirit

Sailing Sweet Dreams - Lake Julian, Asheville, NC

Rowing Sweet Dreams - Lake Jocassee, Salem, SC

Lake Julian mountain views from Sweet Dreams

Seachelle

Ahoy, Mountain Sailor!

Thank you so very much for sharing your support, reflections, and encouragement -- it means a great deal to me! Love the quote, "Ride the horse in the direction it's going." -- so true, indeed!

Sounds like you have lots of fun activities planned this fall! Wonderful!!!

Please do keep us posted on your projects with Passionate Spirit as they continue to evolve, as well as your sailing time aboard Sweet Dreams! I love hearing about others' journeys -- both figuratively and literally speaking!  :)

Fair winds,
~ Chelle

Quote from: Mountain Sailor on August 13, 2022, 10:56:36 PM
I care to read your posts, Chelle — please keep them coming!

Not just to document your journey with No Mas!, but to share with all of us. Trust me — many people read, but don't reply. (I read for months before my first reply...)

So sorry to hear about your challenges with getting her splashed. All the work you're doing now will be worth it in the long run — whenever you get her in the water.

Maybe this summer and fall is just for you to slow down, spend time with her so the two of you can get to know each other all the better.

The same thing has happened in my world around Passionate Spirit. This past week I realized there's no way she's gonna get splashed in September. Which pushes her potential launch back to around Thanksgiving due to several previous commitments this fall: friends visiting, 50th HS reunion, camping one weekend on gorgeous Lake Jocassee with Sweet Dreams, and a niece's wedding.

At first, that was hard to accept, but now it's Just. What. Is. And I trust there's good reason to 'ride the horse in the direction it's going'.

So keep loving up on No Mas! and you'll be fine with whatever time table is revealed.

Finally, in the words popularized by one of my favorites sites of all time — www.offcenterharbor.com:

"It's August.

Start off slow.

Then ease up."