News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone using a Tiller Pilot on an Eclipse?

Started by alsantini, May 02, 2022, 02:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Hello everyone.  I have recently got the bug for a tiller pilot for my Eclipse.  I am interested in where you have placed the unit?  It kinda looks like my only position choice is the seat?  The directions show 18 inches from the rudder is the optimal connection point on the tiller.  18 inches puts the unit on the seat, which means I cannot use the cushions with the tiller pilot.  BTW, I am looking at the Simrad TP-10.  Any help appreciated.  Sail On,  Al

rogerschwake

Ahoy Al. I'm on my second Simrad and really like them. Use them for motoring and sailing. About the 18" mounting distance, you can buy extensions to move the mounting over to the coaming. Defender has extensions for Simrad from 1.8" to 11.81". This should let you mount it on the coaming witch I did with both autopilots I installed. If any more questions just ask. This is a great addition to your boat and will make sailing and motoring a lot more pleasant.

ROGER

Al

Hi Al & Roger,
  Thanks for opening and commenting this subject.  I am interested in a Tiller Pilot on my Horizon Cat.  I'd be interested in more posts on the subject, covering things like brand used, mounting details, general satisfaction, etc.  I single hand 95% of the time, sail yr round, at least once/wk if conditions are reasonable.  Going forward when underway is not attempted very often, but quickly if done.  Holding into the wind when raising or dropping the sail would be much easier with a T.P.   I sail the Neuse River near New Bern. 

Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

crazycarl

Al, not to hijack the thread, but I sail the Neuse at Oriental. Maybe we could plan a meet up?

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

Quote from: Al on May 03, 2022, 09:17:41 PM
Hi Al & Roger,
  Thanks for opening and commenting this subject.  I am interested in a Tiller Pilot on my Horizon Cat.  I'd be interested in more posts on the subject, covering things like brand used, mounting details, general satisfaction, etc.  I single hand 95% of the time, sail yr round, at least once/wk if conditions are reasonable.  Going forward when underway is not attempted very often, but quickly if done.  Holding into the wind when raising or dropping the sail would be much easier with a T.P.   I sail the Neuse River near New Bern. 

Maybe not relevant to either an Eclipse or a Horizon Cat but this is the install on my 23.  It is a Raymarine ST-1000.  You can go online a read the installation and operation manual there it is provided by them.  I have to say you are exactly right, single handling is what I do most often and the TP has been wonderful for getting things done while underway motoring particularly raising sails, and dousing, flaking and covering same on the way in.  It has limitations under sail I find it ok for a beam reach to run in steady wind conditions, however not as good on a close reach with gusty or changing wind conditions.  Not as quick as a helmsman nor can they anticipate in a following sea as a helmsman would.

rogerschwake

The only problem with having an auto pilot is once you have one you can't get along without one. Kind of like cruise control, air conditioning and all the other addons you have to have on your new car.

Al

I agree, Roger,  We liked the autopilot on our last pwr boat, a Mainship 30 ft Pilot.  But that moved fast enuf that you had to "drive" it, needed attn all the time if no auto pilot.  It's an option that makes your boating time much more enjoyable, but not something you couldn't get home without it.
Ratty, to Mole

Al

I bit the bullet today and ordered a Raymarine ST2000, should be deld Mon. 5/9.  I'll have to do some measuring, scheming, etc., to see how I'll mount the 'fixed' end to the coaming.  Want to go above the cushion, but not leave a back scratcher when it's not in use. 

(Carl, I hope we can get together sometime soon.  We don't get to Oriental as often as when we had the pwr boat.)
Ratty, to Mole

Windjammer1

Hello Al Santini,please keep us up to date on your tiller pilot install.I have been considering the same on my Eclipse and very interested in your installation.Thanks

Al

Hi Al S,  I will keep you all posted on my progress and resulting opinions.  Al P
Ratty, to Mole

Al

hi Al S,   I have had my tiller pilot installed in the Horizon for a cupla mo.s now.  About time for an update --  I like it, and use it frequently.  Most use is when raising or lowering the sail, but also underway sometimes. 
  A few items of interest -- it will not bring the tiller "full over", only goes about 30 degrees (of heading) at a time (so, coming about while using it is slow).  This will depend a bit upon where the mounting point on the tiller is, the further aft the more the rudder will turn.   The steel mounting for the connection point on the tiller is mounted under the tiller, and will/may interfere with the bottom of the cut out in the transom if mounted too far aft. 
  I avoid these problems by putting the pilot in 'standby' and lifting it free of the drive peg on the tiller.   I pivot the tiller upward a few inches and then proceed to come about, or just continue underway as needed. 
  A few pix might help, I'll try to get some this wk and post them here.
  Al, we also had a Mainship Pilot 30, and fully agree, you have to drive it all the time w/o the autopilot. 
Ratty, to Mole