a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rough weather capacities of a CP 23 Experiences preferred

Started by gmerrill, July 02, 2022, 09:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Does anyone have had a rough seas experience with a compac 23.

TopsailB

From experiences with my CP23 diesel, I?m convinced the boat can easily handle much more than I can take. On a trip to Ocracoke in the middle of the Pamlico Sound the wind picked up and shifted to the east, resulting in three to four foot waves with a really short period. The wind was steady around 25 kts with higher gusts. Sailing on the wind with the main double reefed and the Genoa furled to less than 100% was wet and wild. In one exceptional gust the boat rounded up because I wasn?t able to fall off fast enough, but it settled down immediately and made way again.

Once I got to Royal Shoal and needed to head east to Ocracoke the sails had to be doused and I motored the rest of the way. With the short waterline the boat hobby-horsed but with the diesel it did fine. There would have been no way to motor under those conditions if I still had the outboard on the stern for power.

A few times I got nervous, primarily because I was sailing solo. The worst was getting the main down and secured with the boat rocking and rolling, taking waves on the beam since the tiller pilot couldn?t keep a course into the waves.

I?ve also been in and out of Topsail Inlet, dealing with breaking water occasionally. I?m always just a little nervous with following seas. Once I had an experience when the outboard was still on that was scary. The boat did fine-better than I did. You can read about it here if you are interested:  http://www.sailboatrichlands.com/
Topsail Beach NC
1989 Com-Pac 27
1986 Com-Pac 23D
1986 Com-Pac 16
1959 Simmons Seaskiff 18

gmerrill

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will have a diesel as well

Bob23

Gents:
  I sail a 1985 mark 2, outboard version. A few years ago I got caught out in 30 knots plus winds, thought about going in but I decided to try out mainsail reef #2, which I had not done up to that point. Rolled in the headsail to about 25% and enjoyed a very stable albeit very wet sail! Never felt unsafe or out of control, even gybing to head downwind was somewhat controlled.
  Our boats are much happier sailing than motoring, much more stable. Of course with the 23's, one must always match the sail area to the wind speed. I usually put my first reef in at 15 knots, I know it sounds silly but being overcanvased even in the least isn't fun or efficient.

Bob23

gmerrill

Thanks Bob appreciate the info. What size waves were you experiencing

Bob23

It was quite a while ago but I'd say 2 to 3 with an occasional 4 footer.
Bob23

Bristol14

I sail my 23 on Buzzards Bay and I agree with Bob, reefing at may sound early but it?s safer, easier and as he said more efficient. I?ve had passengers question why I?ve reefed as we start a sail when I know the upcoming weather and then apologize when it starts to blow. Being able to manage the size of my jib with my furler also helps.
Paul