a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Centerboard pennant

Started by GeorgeH, June 04, 2022, 05:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeH

GPS here, that's George, Pat, canine Suzy, Eclipse 59, aka "sail on SILVERGIRL".  She's (the boat that is) has been a FL resident before and since we go her 6 years ago, used as a snowbird vessel.  Brought her up north last summer by trailer, where she will probably stay.  We sail in a NY finger of a lake called Cayuga, Ithaca NY.

During last summer's end of season haulout, we asked for a new centerboard pennant.  Not being up on local customs and very modern things, the pennant turned out to be dyneema.  Hmmm....  Doesn't jam in the cleat, must be secured to cleat on gas locker.  Being a sailor in the fourth quarter I don't need a line across the cockpit. Want to move that gas locker cleat to the pennant block.  Anyone see this as a problem, turning a low line in the cockpit into a toe stubber?

Post rarely, but really appreciate all the info available here! George

Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

johnno

Hi George.  Not sure what sort of cleat is on your gas locker, but maybe if you replaced the V cleat on the pennant block with a spinlock type rope clutch, it might grab the dyneema okay. Just a thought.

Andre

George,

I'm not an Eclipse owner (rather Picnic Cat and Horizon Cat) but why not just replace the dyneema with conventional polyester double braid of the appropriate size probably 3/16 or 1/4 ? It shouldn't be that hard to do unless it's difficult on an Eclipse. I've done my PC twice - with your 1 1/2 ft draft plus about another foot or so to lower the board enough to expose the cb you could do it in about 3-4 ft of water so the swimming and diving wouldn't be dangerous. Either sew
new line to old and pull it through or work wire or a coat hanger through and pull the new line up.   Just tie up by a good shoreline and keep away from marina electrics! If you're not up to it ask some youngster to help. If I was by you I'd lend you a hand and I'm not a youngster either (70).

Just what I would do ....

Andre

GeorgeH

Johnno,  didn't think of that, it would work, thanks!

Andre,  twenty years ago, that would have been my solution.  Not a strong swimmer anymore.  During fall takeout and bottom cleaning to remove invasives, we will have a chance to get back to original setup.  We are in a marina at the south end of a long, narrow and deep lake.  We still have our SunCat that led us to the Eclipse.   Hope to take it to some of the other lakes in the area this summer.   For us, it is much easier to rig than the Eclipse, just doesn't sail as well especially in light wind. 

There are other vessels, mainly Catalina 22s, with swing keels on our lake, probably why dyneema was chosen as a pennant, hindsight, should have asked. We moved the plastic horn cleat to the pennant block for our first sail of the season today.  It worked well.   Immediately saw we need a bushing around the line.

Thanks for your replies, George
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

Tim Gardner

Hey George,  I  grew up on the north end of Cayuga Lake in Union Springs.  The sailing is a bit better further up the lake where the shorelines aren't as steep and don't block the normally west winds. Take your cat up to Frontenac park . They have excellent facilities and ramp.  The lake is 3 miles wide there.
As a 14 yr old kid I camp sailed a sunfish to Ithaca and back for a lark.TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

GeorgeH

Tim, impressed with your "cruise" to our end of Cayuga on a sunfish.   Saw where Union Springs is, we've got our eyes on a small state launch area called Dean's Cove on the west side as a catboat launch site.  We moved here in late 2018, built on a former pasture about a mile west and 4 miles north from ithaca.  (Usual) small stream behind our place enters the lake at Ithaca Yatch Club. 

You are right, not much sailing direction choice from the state marina in Ithaca, but its just a short trip, downhill. When we first moved here, my spouse drove me and the trailered catboat over to Lake Seneca. Launched, Sailed Up to Geneva, through the canal into Lake Cayuga, South to Ithaca.   Age appropriate cruise with the right boat. 

Where do you sail now?  George
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

Tim Gardner

George,

My wife Vicki and I sail on Smith Mountain Lake in SW Virginia.  Sailing season here is from September to May.  Winter sailing is the best.  Have sailed most every New Years day-week for the last 36 years.  From time to time I trailer our 19II back home to sail C-Lake.  Still have family there.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.