a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Too hot to work or...

Started by crazycarl, July 27, 2022, 05:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

Am I just getting old?  I decided to clean up the boat today so the first item was to raise the mast for easier access to the interior.  The shrouds and backstay needed attaching and the backstay caught on the o/b mount on the first try, so I  had to do it twice.  Then came running an extension cord so I could vacuum out the cabin.  Not too much to clean inside, which was good since the temperature hit 96° today.  Then I scubbed the deck and cockpit down and installed the boom and a boom tent.  All this took less than an hour, but I was a bit dizzy afterward and decided to leave the hull for another day.
Ten years ago this heat wouldn't have bothered me.  In fact, I always enjoyed working outside on hot, humid days.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

We've had about six weeks of heat indexes that ranged from 100 to 115 and Ive gotten very little done.  On the hottest of those five days I did help my son move from a rental house to an owned house in east Nashville and I was surprised I got through that.  But I've been postponing anything that can't be finished by 10:00 AM.  That includes most boat work, brake job and plugs on my truck, cutting some wisteria off of some trees to see if it has killed them (probable), and a whole lot of other stuff.  Boat has not been out in June or July, just too hot and often no wind.

It is supposed to break this weekend, rain and then temps in the low 90's next week. 

There is a silver lining to this.  I go to NOAA hurricane tracking every day and for the last month have gotten the "There is no tropical activity expected in the Atlantic or Gulf for the next 48 hours" message every day.  That high that makes this heat is keeping them out.

And yes, you are getting old and I'm older and it ain't going to get any better........

Tim Gardner

Old is a state of mind, Brack & Crazy.  In my mind, I'm still the 26 year old that mustered out of active duty (RIFed) to reserve duty.  My body is 70.  Until recently they, my mind and body, didn't communicate.  Recently, however, they have begun to talk. Both are lying SOBs.

The heat can be a killer though. Stay hydrated and shaded.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Al

Yes, it's been stinkin hot this week.  I live ~20 miles upstream the Neuse from Crazy, and it's the same here.
  But, who went sailing Tues?  I went out with Keith Scott for abt 2 late AM hrs in my Horizon, his son and another fellow, Pete, were in Pete's CP-23D.  Keith wanted to check out hi new Sailing Efficiency pgm, and found it had a problem or 2.  We'll try agn when it's cooler. 
  We were all dripping wet, not from spray, when we got in, it didn't help that after dropping the sail, it was straight down wind to the slip in Duck Creek.  I just closed up the hatch and came back after supper to tidy up and get the sail cover on.

Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole