a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Chartplotter mount

Started by johnno, March 04, 2022, 07:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnno

Step one of an experiment to make a chart plotter mount for my Eclipse. Plan is that it will clip onto the companionway lip/step port side, and or flip around and clip onto a set of shelves I?m making for the cabin bulkhead next to the existing switch panel. I find the proprietary swivels big and bulky and even worse when it comes to B&G with their large and unwieldy mounts.  More pics as it proceeds.

Cruzin

Looks like a great idea!

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

johnno

Began the installation in the boat today. Transponder installed by Gerry before the boat was transported to Australia works a treat. Bracket fits quite well on companionway step, but now have to work out how I want to do the shelving for the cabin mount of the chartplotter.  That'll be next installment.

Gerry

That should work.  You might consider building one that uses a small TV swivel mount.  Attach the mount to the interior of the bulk head.  Attach you home made/design mount and swivel it in and out of the companion way.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

johnno

Fitted the vhf radio today. Had to make a small bracket and raised mount to keep it clear of the bunk cushions but it worked out well.  Also moved Wagtail to her new permanent mooring today so very pleased about that.

slode

Is your anchor painted white?  or is that a rubberized coating?  In either case looks very classy!  Wonder how long that will hold up with use.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

johnno

No, just the photo I guess - it's new and just the normal galvanised finish. With all the flooding here lately, it'll be picking up mud every time for quite a few years I'd say.

johnno

Finished constructing the starboard and port companionway shelves, which will also hold my chartplotter when it is in the internal position.  Still have to varnish and take down to the boat to fit.  Hopefully I got the dimensions right.

After a bit of thought I've decided not to put the epirb and fire extinguisher on the shelves but rather on the aft end of the side shelves where they'll be easy to reach and not take up much room.  Also, they won't add their considerable weight to the new shelves.

Bob23

This wood looks suspiciously like Cumaru, which is a hardwood that we use for decking here in NJ. Very hard to work with but weathers to a silvery gray. Great workmanship, Johnno!
Bob23

johnno

Thanks Bob, it's called silky oak here in Queensland.  I think it's a Grevillea.

So finally got the cabinets in and the wiring done.  Pic shows chartplotter in position for inside use, and it flips to fit on the companionway step as I posted above. Also got the matching cutlery shelves up in place.  That's nearly it for inside for now.  Have to get some line bags fitted for the cockpit and that's more or less all the jobs done now I think.

jim1440

How did you end up attaching your selves? I?ve got a C19 that has 1/8? wood that won?t hold a screw, so am planning to glue 1/4?, the screw into it.

Jim
--------------------------------------------
Belle Eire - CP 19/3 #494
Coniston - CP Picnic Cat #184

johnno

Hi Jim, four screws in each.  My lining is probably only 3mm too, so I won't be putting anything heavy in my shelves either, that's for sure. But I put them in carefully to bite and hold tight. I guess you could use those special bolts with the little bracket that flips 90 degrees once in, but they need larger holes.  Another alternative for both the ply or my glass bulkheads would be to epoxy on a stronger backing, or ledges a bit like you're suggesting.  The backing wouldn't be bad because it would strengthen up the whole bulkhead.  If I run into future problems, I'll just epoxy on a sheet of half inch ply shaped to suit.