a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

2nd reefing and worn out gudgeons

Started by JF AIR, July 07, 2007, 07:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF AIR

I am about to pull my boat out of the water for storage and while she sleeps , I plan to make modifications such as
2nd reef in the main...does anybody have any specs for me to follow....
worn out gudgeons....is the actual original set up recuperable or should I definitely look into all new rudder set up...
Any input from you guys will be welcome
tks
JF AIR

ramble on

I took both sets of guntles and pintles to a machine shop. They went the next size up with the ss bolts and then drilled out the gudgeons to match, all for $85.

It works fine and has no more wobble.

Jeff/Ramble On

JF AIR

Just got a quotation frm Gerry Hutchins for an upgraded foil rudder for CP23/ / 3...he offers at 350usd what ida sailor post on the web for 599usd....What is the catch ????
tks for prompt answer
JF air
Montreal

Craig Weis

I line bored both pieces and ss sleeved same with three washers 'tween the pivot points with new bolts. Nuts up. Check my earlier posts in the profiles for details. skip.

Scott Statz

Gudgeon Repair - Brass nipples (at proper length not including the threads) from hardware store.  Cut threads off. Drill out gudgeon undersized.  Use caution with drill angle.  Use bench vice to press brass into gudgeon.  Cheap and works great.

Scott Statz

Gudgeon Repair - I forgot to mention that you need to drill out the nipple to fit your ss bolt.