a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Looking for a 23/2 in New England

Started by Joel, March 22, 2022, 07:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel

Thanks for taking a sec to look. I am looking for a 23 in new England to sail on lake Champlain. Just missed the one pbrenton had listed in Maine and can?t stop kicking myself!  If anyone has a line on an affordable 80?s 23 please drop me a line thanks again and happy spring all.

Joel

Hello again. I found an ?81 CP23 locally I am looking at this week. Other than lack of bow sprit is there much difference between this year model and the mark2?   Any advice specific to a CP23 for things to look at beyond the normal stuff would be greatly appreciated. I?m trying to keep my excitement down so I can look at this old gurl subjectively?
Cheers!

Bob23

Hi Joel, I'm by no means an expert but I have owned my 1985 23/2 for about 15 years. Other than some interior layout changes, here's what I know. On the mark 2's the stanchions, bow and stern rails were changed to stainless steel from aluminum. The bowsprit does add some better performance upwind but don't expect her to point all that high, upwind is not the 23's strong point of sail. Of course a bow sprit could always be added to your mark 1.

I love my 23 and it has benefitted greatly when I added a foiled rudder blade and had new sails made. The upwind performance was greatly enhanced it tacking was much easier as the factory flat rudder blade was prone to stalling. Of course, it could also be due to my ability, or lack of the same.

Happy hunting, they are great boats. Stay in touch here- lots of advice and opinions and occasionally some of it is actually true!

Bob23

curtisv

Joel,

The bowsprit reduces weather helm by mving the sail plan slightly forward.

Define "affordable".  I have a 23/3 and bought a larger boat (Mariner 36).  You can PM me if interested but I'm thinking in the $8,000 range so if that is out of your range, then never mind.  Solid boat but needs a few things (battery is dead for example, needs some gelcoat work, some cracks and spiders over the years, broken trailer tailligh, trailer needs brakes but with F-250 and short distance to ramp I don't need the brakes).  Been busy with other things so slightly neglected though all brightwork was sanded with 220 last year and left bare and some gelcoat work was done.

I wasn't considering selling at this point but could be convinced.  I'm currently on Cape Cod but considering moving to Maine.  I was considering moving all my boats rather than sell any.

Also if you already bought a boat, then never mind.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Reighnman

2 are currently posted on Craigslist in NJ right now.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Joel