a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need Mainsheet block advice CP 23

Started by fried fish, June 17, 2022, 06:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fried fish

I am ready to replace what appears to be a very basic stock Mainsheet block with cam cleat.
What do most folks use? Single block? Double block?
Becket? I am ready to order something nice. Open to suggestions.
I have an 84 Compac 23.
Thanks in advance,
Fred

brackish

A little confused, do you have the standard end boom sheeting arrangement?  Or maybe converted to mid boom?  Not too many options for changing the configuration on the end boom.    Mine (end boom) has a swivel base with a cam cleat on the base arm.  On the base is a single standup block with a becket.  The sheet starts at the becket, feeds through the double on the end of the boom, to the single starboard side, back through the double, then back to the original block.  You end up with a 4:1 ratio.  Mine are all Ronstan series 40 components.  Is that what you have.  This the base, block attaches to the spring mount.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronstan--c-cleat-ball-bearing-base--545053?gclid=CjwKCAjw77WVBhBuEiwAJ-YoJLCiSGpvv2EwQuGaWhefnUHbO43PnKrFLFmMKdCBlifv7pXIXC_0LhoC8b8QAvD_BwE

On that standard config, adding a double for the final doesn't get you anything, there is no place to feed for a higher ratio.  Changing to mid boom would let you go up to 6:1 but that would require changing out everything.

Bristol14

I replaced my end boom mainsheet arrangement with a Garhauer jam cleat with swivel mount and fair lead and have been happy with it. They also sell a unit similar to the one that Brackish noted.
Paul

fried fish

Hi, yes I do have the end boom configuration. My Schaefer block has a built in cam and mounts very close to the deck with a difficult angle. I tried to upload a photo but this site does not accept iPhone images.
Do you have a photo of your block configuration? I need turnkey specific suggestion for just the block and cam. My current block stands up on a spring loaded connection. The sheet line terminates to a removeable pin towards the top of the block.

fried fish

brackish

Quote from: fried fish on June 18, 2022, 10:11:40 AM
So, if I use this Ronstan 40 with becket turned upside down (opposite of position in link photo ) and connected to Rontan deck mount swivel base with cam, I would have a viable solution.
Does that sound like a winner?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronstan--series-40-all-purpose-single-block-with-becket--271747?recordNum=49

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronstan--c-cleat-ball-bearing-base--545053?gclid=CjwKCAjw77WVBhBuEiwAJ-YoJLCiSGpvv2EwQuGaWhefnUHbO43PnKrFLFmMKdCBlifv7pXIXC_0LhoC8b8QAvD_BwE

You would have what I have and that is what came stock with a 2005 23 IV.  It works fine.  The only complaint I have is that you cleat down and that works fine, but you break free up and that sometimes is a little awkward particularly if you are sitting a little forward to work the jib sheets when single handling.  But it would be worse without the base arm being solid and not moving on the spring mount like the block cleat combo's.  At least I think that would be worse.  Truthfully, if I were making an expenditure for my boat for main sheet hardware I would probably go to mid boom.  That would be expensive probably $500 or better, even repurposing some of the existing, but I've always preferred having all the sail controls in front of me.  Opinions vary on that for some valid reasons, but I've had it both ways and prefer mid.

I don't have a pic but can do when next time at the boat, that might be a week or so.

brackish

here is one of it installed.  Sheet and boom not there this was taken just before a haul out to show the rolling crutch to someone.