a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

long distance sailing

Started by carob, March 06, 2007, 06:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carob

Has anyone sailed a blue water crossing in a CP23?  Has anyone ever sailed in the caribbean, island hopping, in a 23?  I know they were not designed for such a task, but a Montgomery 17 was designed to sail to Hawaii.  Just curious.

JF AIR

I saw a CP 23 in Roatan Island of the coast of Honduras
Though it has been out of the water for as long as I worked there ( 3 years )
No idea how it got there .

Bob23

This is the question I had in mind when I posted "23- Long Voyages?" No doubt the boat is quite seaworthy of a bluewater crossing, but many modifications would be necessary. Hal Roth, renowned circumnavigator, in his book "How to sail around the world" makes a good point in the discussion of boat length. To properly provision for such a voyage, we would load quite a bit of weight onto any boat. The smaller the boat, the more she might be overloaded thus creating a dangerous condition even before leaving port. This is a great book by a great man who knows and respects the sea.
    Bob

breeze

The 23 is not a blue water boat! Many of the great fetchers of the 23, the shallow draft, large cotpit, light rigging are not safe in sever conditions. She is well built, and could handle some bad wether. I would sail from Fort Lauderdale to West End, about 50 miles on a favorable day. Keeping a 12 hr weather window in mind. From there island hop around some of the best cruising grounds around. At this time I am preparing my 23 for such a trip. I have crossed the Gulf Stream in sever conditions.
David

Craig Weis

Yes I think a CP 23 will do the trip if the standing rigging is top notch and the captain is careful and lucky.

Other record voyages have been done with less.
Less success, less comfort, more abuse.
But why?
That's why they are 'record' voyages as in unusual to have been attempted and unusual to be completed. skip.