- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sheeting Question

Started by mikehennessy, December 12, 2021, 06:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehennessy

Happy Holidays!

As I ponder sailing from my lounge chair:

The Sunday Cat has a "single" sheeting system with one line with two bitter ends.  Sheeting or easing on either the windward or leeward side produces the same effect.

Has anyone tried "twin sheeting" where there are two lines attached to the boom which each must be trimmed.  One could use existing the hardware in the cockpit and replace the 3-block attached to the boom.  This would allow for better boom control and prevent accidental gybes. 

Potential downside is you do have to trim each windward and leeward sheet.  Thinking this would only be an issue going down wind.  Beating one would keep each sheet the same length and have a self-tending main.

A 2-1 on each side would seem to be controllable.  One could imagine a continuous main sheet.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Mike
2018 Sunday Cat "Good Chemistry"

Renae

ROGER rigged my SC with mid boom sheeting and a 3/6:1 on a rotating block.  The mainsheet is in front of you from the tiller and the power is more than adequate.  Simple is best, IMO.

Roland of Macatawa

Mike,

I presume your question is prompted by the recent article in the Practical Sailor newsletter.
Having read that, I'm not going to consider a twin-sheets modification for my SunDayCat
With the shifty lake winds in which I sail, it would seem to be too troublesome to keep tending.
To simultaneously release one sheet while pulling in the other seems, to me, to be too bothersome.

Regards, Roland
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

mikehennessy

Exactly the source Roland!

Thanks for your input.
2018 Sunday Cat "Good Chemistry"