a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wind Vane Auto Steering

Started by slode, October 21, 2021, 03:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

Has anyone installed/used an auxiliary wind vane system on a 23 or smaller Com Pac?   These systems have always interested me and I'd like to get any feedback from users.  Might consider making my own.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

crazycarl

I considered it when one was for sale this past summer for $400.  That's about 1/2 the cost I've seen for a used one.  Looking it over, it was too large for my 19's transom.  Looking at windvanes on larger boats to convert one for a 19, the outboard and transom ladder would need to be removed.  Also with a transom hung rudder, a lot of modification would be needed.  I'm sure someone smarter than me could design one.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

wes

Planning to cross an ocean on that 23? Otherwise I can see no reason to hang that huge, very heavy hunk of metal on your transom. Spend your money on an autopilot if you don't already have one. God's gift to singlehanded lake and coastal sailors.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Al

Like Wes said, they're better on an offshore cruiser.  A local guy here spent a lot of time and more than a little $$ putting one on his 20 footer a yr or 2 ago.  Inshore wind changes direction and speed frequently, and he said it wasn't worth the trouble, The Neuse River is 3+ mi. wide here, just below New Bern. but does widen out to 4-6+ mi. down towards Oriental. so it's not a narrow waterway.
Al

"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole