a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

compac 19 outboard motor mount

Started by mfahey, November 15, 2021, 08:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfahey

hello, i have been following this forum on and off for years now and had finally registered the other day....  interestingly enough, i have been recently been woking to bring my 1983 Compac 19 back to form and have run into an issue with my outboard motor mount.  the original mount is an aluminum Fulsom outboard motor mount and is not rated for a 4 stroke motor (I have a 6 Hp Tohatsu Sailpro).  i have been looking to replace this mount with one that is rated for a 4 stroke motor - and more robust quite frankly.  I was hoping someone may be able to recommend a brand/model.  the one thing i really liked about the fulsom is that is has ~14" of travel which allows for lowering the motor without cavitation (in most conditions) as well as being able to easily raise the motor out of the water with only a slight tilt.  Most 4 stroke mounts i have come across appear to have ~10" travel with exception of a "Panther" model that does have 16" travel but looks to be rated for up to 35 Hp - perhaps too much for my motor.  Any suggestions appreciated...  thanks in advance, Mike

Eddie C

I would be more concerned with the weight rating rather than 4 cycle vs 2 cycle. Why do you want a different mount? If you use one that is too robust, it will be very difficult to lower your motor. On my last boat I used bolt cutters to snip 3 springs on the mount. The motor was 3 1/2 hp and very light.
Eddie C

mfahey

Apologies fo not elaborating?. The current mount is no longer stiff/ridged. The motor can (and does)?wobble? back and forth. Would definitely be more comfortable without having this as a concern.
I understand the point with respect to motor weight and mount springs as well.
Any recommendation on alternate mount appreciated.
Thanks!!

brackish

I have a Garelick 71056 on my 23 with that motor.  It works great.  Says for two stroke up to 20 HP but as far as weight it works perfectly with the 59 lb. Sail Pro.  The bottom two positions both put the prop in the water for operation, in chop or following seas, bottom recommended.  It will let the motor be completely out of the water at the 45 degree tilt when docked.  It has just the right amount of assist for that weight, when I had a 104 lb. 9.9 on it it was too little assist for that weight. 

Edit:  I'm not sure about the model number.  There are three others in the same series 71033 and 71039.  They all look similar.  Mine has four springs top and bottom, but, since this was an OEM installation, it is possible that spring(s) could have been removed to fit the original  motor.  Although I doubt that because that motor was a bear to  lift even with the assist.  The Sail Pro comes up with minimal pull and can be locked down with a light push.

mfahey

Hey brackish,
appreciate the feedback!!!
Swung by Compac shop in Clearwater today and picked up a new mount - one used for catboats.  Figuring should be fine for a 19!!