a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

WINCH QUESTION

Started by FWFIV, June 11, 2007, 12:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWFIV

When using the winch(es), the lowest wrap of jib sheet slides down the winch and rubs on the raised cockpit teak plate., so much so that they can't be pulled in further.  I have tried the tracks at different positions and get the same result.  Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Bob23

I have the same problem and my winches have been replaced with Andersen 12ST. Seems that the genoa track pulley is too low and doesn't feed the job sheet in at the right angle.
   Changing the position of the pulley on the track may result in a deformed jib.
  What year is your boat?
   Bob23 in "Koinonia"  (1985 23/2)

Craig Weis

Me too. My head sail sheet would ride on the cockpit combing and started to groove the fiberglass. So I looked around in the powerboat stuff in my ship's store and found some very nice 7" long stainless steel strips that screw down onto the glass. Thes were actually for a Christ Craft foot thingy. Bedded of course with 3-M 5200. Works nice. The sheets ride on these now and they like it. skip.

breeze

An ease way to fix the sheet lead to the winch is to use a turning block mounted aft of the winches. This will always give the proper lead to the winch, no mater what the jib size.
David

FWFIV

Hey Bob
She is a 1981 model

dawntreader

I had the same problem on Dawntreader.  I attached a block on the coaming forward of the winch to create a fair lead.

bramble

Bob23

While rummaging through my stock of spare parts, I came across a pair of genoa cars. I installed one on each side, toward the front of the genoa track and then reinstalled the blocks toward the rear of the track. With the car at the front, the jib sheet enters  at the correct angle to achieve a proper sail shape. The line then runs aft, through the block and meets the winch at an angle that prevents the line from snagging.
   Since, re-routing the jib sheets in this manner, changing tacks is mucho simpified. If I can get a photo together, I'll try to post it.
   Bob in "Koinonia"