a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ida Foil Rudder

Started by gmerrill, September 22, 2021, 06:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Does anyone have a ida foil rudder over factory rudder and is there much improvement if any
Greg

Cpy23ecl

Assuming you are referring to the the original flat blade rudder.....

I replaced the factory flat blade rudder with a new rudder craft complete rudder assembly.

Massive improvement.  No longer had to be extremely careful tacking in light winds so as not to end up in irons.  Rudder was effective at very low speeds unlike the original blade.  Less tiller effort/weather helm.  Maybe sailed a bit closer to the wind. Rudder no longer needed to be removed when trailering.  Much easier to raise and lower.  It really is a thing of beauty.  With  the optional crutch, made the mast easier to raise.

In short it was very much worth the money.

If you are talking about replacing a factory foil rudder blade with a ruddercraft foil blade there is no benefit.

If you are talking about replacing a factory foil rudder assembly with the ruddercraft assembly there is still an improvement of convenience but not performance.

Fred

brackish

I have the factory foiled rudder and have no experience with the Ruddercraft version, so I can't talk about relative performance.  However, I did have a big problem with the factory version kicking up without hitting anything.  More accurately the tab on the lock rod would slide off the hold tang laterally when steering.  It was very annoying.  I ended up fixing it by making the modification in the thread below.

https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=7267.0

I did send the info to Compac to see if they wanted to modify their design, but they were not interested, I think they were worried thatit would not perform, i. e. allow the rudder to kick up when coming in contact with ground or a solid floating object.  The modification does allow that as I've inadvertently tested it on several occasions.