a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compac 23 Water Leaks

Started by gmerrill, July 31, 2021, 05:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I recently ordered a 23 but will not receive it for a year I am told. In my eclipse which was a great boat. I would have some water leaks from time to time. It would leak in one settee then the other settee another time.  None major leaks and the bilge never saw a drop unless I put a hose in to operate the bilge pump from time to time. Is inherent problems that comes with 23. Just want to know what to look for. Have no regrets about ordering boat just want info from current owners instead of magazine reviews.

Al

Hi,   Wow, a year.  I ordered our Horizon last Aug., and didn't get it until Mar., 7+ mo.s, and the dealer here has said many times since last Aug., that the dely times were really climbing.   Didn't realize it was a yr now.  Long wait, but will be worth it.    We owned a 23 abt 20 yrs ago for 3 or 4 yrs , don't remember any leaks like you mention.  I used a borrowed one last Winter for 2-3 mo.s, didn't have a leak problem.  Not on a recent yr 23, but hope it's some help.

Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

brackish

A trickle in the area of the starboard shroud chainplates at the hull to deck seem so small that it never makes it to the bilge, evaporates  prior to getting there and on a 23IV you will only see it if you open the forward most settee locker.  It does not wet anything else just runs down the inside hull surface until it runs out of steam which is pretty quick.  This from a hard rain.  It can be sealed from the inside I just never have bothered to do it since it is not really a problem.  I suspect the stress of the three standing rigging items in the area cause it to work. 

As mentioned, my bilge has never had a drop of water unless I purposely put it there.

If you aggressively clean it such as with a pressure washer, you will force water up and over the edge of the sliding hatch cover, or under that cover where the drop boards are.  I do this all the time just dry it immediately after the cleaning.  I don't bother to cover the instrument and electrical panel, doesn't seem to get wet.

This on a 16 YO 23IV which is probably the same configuration you will get.

gmerrill

Thanks for feedback gives me continued confidence in my decision.

curtisv

In addition to the hose test, if you sail hard enough to put the rail under water you'll likely have some leaks while doing that.  Also flexes the hull a bit.  I've noticed some wet after doing that.  No real good reason to heel the boat that far except to wow the kids.  Reef the sails and you'll go faster.

Look for staining along the hull to deck joint.  It take a while for staining to become noticeable.  I have some behind and above the cabinets I think on both side.  Not really an issue unless its persistent such as you get leaks every time it rains in which case it can put an ugly stain on the ceilings (the walls inside, not to be confused with the headliner).  If you do have leaks the amount of water coming in is very small.

Only cures are to separate hull and deck and reseal (not 100% effective) or just take the rubrail off and put a few layers of mat and glass tape over joint (100% effective and I don't know any reason why you'd ever want to separate hull and deck except to fix a bad joint leak).  I don't know if this applies only to older CP23s or if it is still a problem.

Curtis

ps - If you put the rail in the water, then close the ports on both sides or you can get quite a bit of water in the cabin.  Don't ask how I know that.
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access