a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Main outhaul

Started by johnno, August 23, 2022, 06:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnno

Has anyone changed their outhaul system so that the line runs through the clew and working end fixed to back to the end of the boom? My Eclipse came with the outhaul just coming out the aft end of the boom, around, and attached directly to the clew, but it's hard to get much outhaul tension in the new sail.

slode

I've found you can get it plenty tight as you have it.  It's kind of a set it and forget it.  With the boltrope foot you can't really flatten the sail much more with the outhaul with it cranked on vs just snug.  I tried tying off the line to the unused block at the boom end, through the clew, then back around the other boom end block and forward to the cleat at the gooseneck.  It provided somewhat of a 2:1 purchase and increased tension, but didn't help with sail shape. Now if you for some reason have a loose foot main that's a whole different story. 
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

johnno

Thanks, that makes good sense.  Friend with me suggested the alternative, but our experience was certainly that the sail shape was okay and it was virtually impossible to put any more tension in the foot with the bolt rope to pull against.

Fastdoc98

I recently put on a Rolly Tasker sail that came with the purchase of my boat, swapping it for the original sail.  It is loose-footed and has a high roach and full battens and I found the outhaul works just fine as it is.  If you really want it flat I suppose a 2:1 purchase would be less effort but I found I can get it flat enough as originally rigged.  I'm using a velcro wrap at the clew instead of a slug as the sail didn't come with a slug/webbing sewn in and it still moves fine.

johnno

I went for a sail today and mucked around with things a fair bit.   Firstly, by making sure the main sheet, vang and downhaul were not only released but with plenty of slack in them, it was okay to haul up the main without having to raise the gooseneck a bit.  It needed a fair heave-ho but was doable and I could get the main right up to the masthead by hand no problem. So tick that off.

Secondly I played around with the outhaul a bit  It's easy with the new sail for the foot of the sail near the clew to twist a bit and not slide easily in the track.  But making sure it was straight really enabled plenty of purchase and it was fine to get the right degree of tension in the foot.

I think I might still get the stopper for the gooseneck as it would just be easier to take that extra weight of the halyard for most of the lift. Cheers all and thanks for your advice.