a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suzuki 2.5 hp problem - Resolved :-)

Started by Scott_S, January 17, 2021, 09:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott_S

Nope, that did not fix it. This motor has required 10-44 pulls for each cold dry start since it came out of the box. A cold dry start is when you try to start it after draining the carb (per the owner's manual) and waiting 3 weeks before you use it again.

The second reply above by Fred, to replace the fuel pump was correct! After 5 trips to the Suzuki shop and multiple correspondences with Suzuki, they failed to fix it. I finally gave up on the shop and ordered a fuel pump for $90 and fixed it myself. Now it starts with 3-5 pulls.

If you have a Suzuki 2.5 and cold dry starts are impossible, yet it starts easily for the second and third start, you may need a new fuel pump. My theory was the pump was strong enough to pump liquid, but not strong enough to suck air, which is required for the pump to prime itself as it sucks air, then liquid, up hill from the tank to the pump. The weak pump's inability to suck air made the cold dry start  difficult after three weeks because the pump would lose its prime in three weeks and have to suck air again. But replacing the fuel pump fixed it.

If you are considering buying a Suzuki, you might want to know mine was under warranty my first 4 trips to the shop and Suzuki failed to replace the fuel pump and failed to fix the problem. I asked for a refund after I spent $90 to fix it myself and no response from Suzuki. Seems they don't want to stand behind their product or their warranty.

I'm happy with the motor now that it starts and is now reliable.

Suzuki needs to work on their quality management and their customer service. If they had started the motor before shipping it to me, they would have realized the problem before it became my problem. If you buy one and need help...Good Luck with that.

Happy Sailing  :-)
'83 Com-Pac 16, Sunfish, Com-Pac Picnic Cat, '96 Com-Pac 16CB Raven

rogerschwake

That brings up my question, if you run a 2 cycle engine dry are you running it out of oil also.

kickingbug1

i would think that before you start it in the spring you could spray some oil in the spark plug hole and pull it though a few times then put the plug back in and start it
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"