a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New 1985 #268 CP19 (same CP16 owner)

Started by Cylonrob, August 11, 2021, 08:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cylonrob

My craigslist monitoring habits got the best of me and I saw a guy put up a CP19 on a Friday morning for about the price of groceries for two weeks (family of 5)....I took it home that night from 3 hours away on shoddy tires going 20 mph below the speed limit.

My wife, kids and I are the proud owners of a 1982 CP16 in great shape and we do not intend to get rid of her. She is a great lake boat. However, we recently ventured out in a bay on the Long Island Sound and, though it did great, felt like we want a bigger family boat a better size for ocean ventures. We are still relatively young in our sailing careers so we did not want something too big and unwieldy that would give us headaches transporting and maintaining it, so had our eyes set for the last few months on the CP19.

With how far I had to drive I had limited time to really look the boat over but knew enough about ComPacs that it was solid and had most necessary parts. The next day when we dismantled her I found that the boat is better off than it looked after sitting for some years, my wife and I stepped the mast and found the boat to be nearly complete with main, jib and genoa in wonderful condition! The boat came from the original owner's executor and though it looks like it hadn't been sailed for some years and is quite dirty and chalky, was not left to rot uncared for. The interior has less paint peeling than our CP16 but the exterior could use a full makeover.

We would like to give this boat a full restoration in the long run as long as it fits our family's needs, which we are almost certain it will. The trailer needs about $1000 in parts (rollers, new axle with working brakes, bunks, hitch extender possibly) but the boat itself could sail tomorrow. I would like to tackle the bottom paint sooner rather than later, partly to sand and inspect some keel patches which were never quite finished and some cracking on it's gelcoat (shown down below). All pictures are before cleaning up, basically what I saw when we got there.

Cylonrob

more images

Cylonrob

more

Cylonrob

The last two show the raw fiberglass keel repair and cracking in the gelcoat....I would like to fully seal this up with epoxy, fairing and bottom paint. Has anyone else had any stress cracking here? I know it has been sitting for a while with the trailer bunk about a 3/4 of an inch too high pushing on the hull some. Can't see that it would be directly related at the location though.

Damsel19

Congratulations, 
You will be amazed when you get her in the water for the first time. The Bob Johnson hull has firmer bilges and right away you will notice a bigger boat feel.
Takes a long shaft outboard. A short shaft will work, but tends to pop out of the water.