a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CopPac-27 Sailing Performance

Started by deisher6, June 14, 2021, 01:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Having sailed several years on several C-27 there is really no surprise here but it is interesting.

Sophie a ComPac 27, with a clean bottom and a very sharp skipper (Wes) and Windrunner, a Pacific Seacraft 34, sailed from Lower Broad Creek to Hancock Creek both on the Neuse River this past Saturday.  The distance is about 19-20 nm pretty much on one bearing with a bend in it to get around Garbacon Shoal.  The wind was around 8-14 fairly steady and off our beam.  The C-27 carries about 380 sqft of sail, Sophie has a bit more possibly in her genoa.  Windrunner has 241 sqft in her main, 250m sqft in the yankee. 

As we left the entry marker for Lower Broad Creek Sophie was 3-400 yards ahead of me.  I didn't think much of it 'knowing' that I would easily catch up and pass her.  About half way to Oriental I noticed THAT was not happening.  Checking with Wes he had .25 - 1.0 knots SOG on me.  As a matter of pride I rigged the baby stay and hung out the staysail, 111 sq ft.  The stay sail usually adds about .5 - 1 knot to boat speed.  I do not keep the stay rigged because it wears out the yankee when doing a bunch of tacking.

Sophie continued to sail away from Windrunner.  By the time that we reached #1 at Hancock, Sophie had a 2+ nm lead.  Wes attempted to make me feel better by saying that it was not a competition.  Yet 'we' all know that any day that two sailboats are near each other on about the same course......!

ComPac-27's are super boats and deserve their just due. 

Now with 14-20 knots of wind....

regards charlie