Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trial Sail?

Started by MattB, June 23, 2021, 04:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattB

Hi, all,

I just joined. I recently retired to a lake house, and am thinking a Picnic Cat might be just the right boat for the lake and (increasingly lazy) me. I've been looking at catboats in general, but the hinged mast would be great for my covered dock. I have a line on a PC, but I need to try that model out just to make sure it is a good match before I buy it. I have learned the importance of this step through bitter experience.

Unfortunately, the one being sold is not near water, so I'm looking for someone else in or near North Carolina with a PC who might be willing to take me out for a short sail so I can be sure it's the right boat for me before I spend all that money, and obviously the seller would like an answer soon. Gerry at C-P suggested I try this group -- is there anyone out there in NC or the surrounding states who'd be willing to take me for a short trial sail?

Thanks,
Matt

bruce

Hey Matt,

I'd gladly take you out for a ride in our PC, and walk you through any questions you have, but I'm in RI. I certainly encourage you to sail on a PC, or any boat, before deciding. Feel free to ask questions here, or to me directly by PM if that will help.

Good luck!

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Renae

If you're married to the idea of a covered dock, it's hard to find anything wrong with a PC.  That said, if I lived on a lake, I'd personally lose the cover, put up my mast once per year and call it done.  The range of acceptable sailboats would broaden immensely by means of that decision. 

bruce

Matt,

I posted your request on the PC Group for a PC to check out, we have a few members in the area, and heard back from someone just north of Charleston. There's also a new PC owner in Durham that's been active, he has good sailing experience, but he's only had the boat for a month, so it's still new to him.

I sent you a PM. Let me know where you're located and maybe we can set something up.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI