a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C-27 Whisker Pole

Started by AnchorJockey, June 09, 2021, 11:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnchorJockey

Does anyone know the whisker pole length for the standard 135% headsail that came with the C-27?

wes

After considerable research and a call to Forespar, I bought their ADJ 7-15 telescoping pole (Defender 600050, $385 for Defender 1st members) for my 27. I have the 135 genoa as well.

I rigged a single block to the masthead for a pole lift and ran 3/8" line back to the cockpit via a turning block at the base of the mast, a deck organizer and a rope clutch. After some experimentation it became clear that the masthead isn't a good location for the block and it really needs to be on the front of the mast, a little below the forestay. So this weekend I'll be climbing the mast to mount a padeye as an attachment point.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

AnchorJockey

Thanks, Wes.  Intel on the pole is very helpful.  So as far as how you are mounting and deploying, it sounds like you are not using a track on the mast but instead are you attaching it to the mast at a fixed point with the pad eye, then standing it up vertically on the pad eye by raising it up with the line rigged to the cockpit?  Sorry for being a little slow on visualizing this, could you elaborate or add some pictures?  Thanks, Bob

wes

I do use a fixed padeye (the Forespar 2" mast ring) when flying the pole, rather than a track. The track would be a nice upgrade, especially if I were using multiple headsails. However since I currently use only the 135 Genoa, the fixed ring works just fine. I'll check the ring height above deck and post later.

I don't store the pole vertically. Since the pole is only 7' long when retracted, I store it horizontally along the forward lifeline. One end clips to a stanchion base and the other to a shackle clamped to the bow pulpit. I'll post pics soon.

The topping lift is to hold the pole level when it's flying, not for storage purposes.

Wes
Bath, North Carolina

AnchorJockey

Thanks for clarifying.  I now understand what you did.  Please do advise on the height of the pad eye.

This week I took my ASA103 class and we used a Whisker Pole, along with a preventer line rigged to the boom through the midship cleat, to sail downwind.  It was eye opening.  The combo of a whisker pole and preventer turned what without them is a touchy and dangerous point of sail and made it rather enjoyable.  So the addition of a whisker pole to my C-27 is at the top of the to do list.  I plan to rig it as you have, so if you have any pics, they would be helpful.

Bob

wes

You've discovered a secret, which is that downwind is a strong point of sail for the CP 27. Of course it doesn't feel very fast since the apparent wind is low, but it's easy to crack along at 5-6 knots in a reasonable breeze. The pole makes a huge difference. There's a good article in the current Sail Magazine about rigging a preventer. They recommend attaching it to the end of the boom (not the midpoint) and running it to a block on the bow (not a stanchion base) for the safest setup. I learned a few things from the article.

FYI my practice (and Forespar's recommendation) when the wind is not directly behind the boat is to sail with the main by the lee. This puts the larger genoa in the favored wind position for maximum power, since it's much larger than the main. But of course this makes a preventer a virtual necessity, unless you like living dangerously.

Here's the Forespar PE-3SC mast ring installed (Defender 400002). Mine is at 75" above the deck. This may vary depending on the cut of your genoa. You want the pole to be parallel to the water (perpendicular to the mast) when flying.

Whisker pole in action. You can see the topping lift clipped to the outboard end of the pole:

Pole stored on starboard foredeck. Good idea to leave the telescoping sections "unlocked" (free to slide in and out) when stored, and to exercise the pole (fully extend and retract) and give it a water rinse every time you wash your boat, to avoid the internal locks taking a set and refusing to ever open again. Don't ask me how I know this.

Bow end of pole clipped to rig made from a bimini-type clamp and a standard D-shackle.

Aft end of pole clipped to stanchion base. As you can see I also clip the topping lift here when not in use.

Bonus photo of baby bluebirds in their nest, to see whether anybody actually read all the way to the end of this post :).

Bath, North Carolina

Razor

Very informative pictures! Great touch with the bluebirds!

Terry
"Cool Change" - 1994 Com-pac 23

Bob23

We've lived in our NJ home for 31 years and just saw our first Bluebird the other day. He/she was looking for a good nest site but apparently they are pretty picky when it comes to choosing a home site.
Bob23

wes

Picky yes, but the folks at the Wild Birds Unlimited stores have figured it out. Bought my 92-year-old mother their recommended bluebird house and installed it according to instructions: on a post about 5' to 6' high, facing east, looking out over an open area (lawn etc.). Presto, within a month a pair of birds set up housekeeping and produced four beautiful blue eggs. They hatch in about 13 days, and are ready to leave home and get into teenage trouble about 17 days later. My mother is entranced.

Wes
Bath, North Carolina

AnchorJockey

Thanks for pics, Wes (including the Bluebirds!).

In our 103 class, we rigged the preventer on the end of the boom, forward to the midship cleat and then aft to the stern cleat.  We sailed wing and wing, but were cautioned against sailing by the lee even with a preventer as our captain and the course materials say it is risky.

I am excited to get my whisker pole, but they are on back order so it may be a while.  >:(